Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

How many mycotoxins should be analyzed in Indian Poultry Feeds and Raw Materials?

Published: January 19, 2021
Summary
The so called Mycotoxins are not a new subject to Indian poultry industry. Perhaps, it is not an overstatement to say that Indian poultry feed millers, integrators and farmers understand mycotoxin challenges much better than their counterparts from the other countries. This is due to the extensive applied research carried on mycotoxins in poultry as well as high occurrence of aflatoxicosis in the...
Related topics:
Authors:
Swamy Haladi
Trouw Nutrition
Recommend
Comment
Vishwambar Navale
National Chemical Laboratory (NCL)
22 de junio de 2021
Dear Haladi, As per your study and conclusion analysis of DON, zearalenone and fumonisins in poultry raw materials and food is not required. But in our study we found that these raw materials are highly contaminated with zearalenone and fumonisins which surpassed the legal limits.
Recommend
Swamy Haladi
Trouw Nutrition
24 de junio de 2021
Dear Navale, testing as many mycotoxins as possible always helps to ascertain toxicity more precisely. But under field conditions, such analysis can be expensive and time consuming. A field miller has to make a quick decision whether to accept or reject raw materials very quickly and he can't analyze all mycotoxins. Scientifically, Aflatoxins, OTA and T-2 are the most toxic mycotoxins to poultry and particularly in Asia we need to focus on analyzing them. If you have resources, please do DON and fumonisins also. But zearalenone is not at all required as the concentration required to cause toxicity in poultry is very high. If you look at pigs, it is a different story. There you need to focus more on DON, fumonisins and zearalenone for testing. An informed and economical decisions need to be made when comes to mycotoxin analysis. I hope this helps. Regards Swamy
Recommend
Ram Singh
28 de junio de 2021
Sir, how many mycotoxins should be analysed for ruminant feed particularly buffalo
Recommend
Swamy Haladi
Trouw Nutrition
29 de junio de 2021
Dear Ram Singh, ruminant animals especially milking animals has two reasons for mycotoxin analysis in feed. One is aflatoxin M1 residue in milk and two, effects of multiple mycotoxins on health and performance. Keeping this is mind, following mycotoxins are important to be analyzed in the order of priority; 1. Aflatoxins 2. Zearalenone 3. T-2 toxin 4. DON 5. Fumonisins Additionally ergot toxins are also imp but unfortunately commercial testing is not available to the best of my knowledge. I hope this helps. Regards Swamy
Recommend
Ram Singh
29 de junio de 2021
Dear Navale, I agree with you that very high levels Fumonisin and Zearalenone concentrations are required to induce toxicity in birds. However, the synergistic effect of these mycotoxins with other mycotoxins, if any, need to be explored.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.