Is it Possible to Feed Nile Tilapia the Diets Containing Wastes of Opuntia ficus-indica?

Published on: 01/15/2021
Author/s : A.M. Abdelhamid 1, M. F. I. Salem 2 and M.A.I. Abdel Bakey 1. / 1 Animal Production Department, Faculty of Agriculture, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Dakahlia Governorate 35516, Egypt; 2 Aquaculture Research Unit, Sakha, Central Lab. of Aquaculture Research, Agricultural Research Center, Ministry of Agriculture, Cairo, Egypt.

Introduction Much information is given (Willem Van Cotthem, 2012) about Opuntia ficus-indica as an aloes. Therefore, the aim of the present study was evaluating the possibility of using powders of either fruits' skins or leaves of the Egyptian Teen Shoky as replacers for dietary corn in all-males mono-sex Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus diets and their effects on fish performance for 75 days....

remove_red_eye 26 forum 1 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
Akintomide Yinka Akintomide Yinka
PhD in Veterinary (Fish) Medicine
January 15, 2021
Thanks for making your work available.
However, I have lots of questions.
1). the crude protein / energy content of your substitutes are quite different from that of the yellow maize you are replacing, so why choose the fig plant to replace maize?
2). The fish meal you used. The analysis seems questionable? At 17.1% moisture, the value is 16.3% protein?
3). Why not formulate feeds with similar CP, energy & fat content to also determine the actual effect of the plant?
4). What's your suggestion on how to remove the off-flavor effect?
Thanks!
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Kurt A. Rosentrater
Kurt A. Rosentrater
Associate Professor
  Ames, Iowa, United States
Professional Services
Dave Albin, Ph.D. Dave Albin, Ph.D.
West Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Kurt A. Rosentrater Kurt A. Rosentrater
Ames, Iowa, United States
Katie Mayo Katie Mayo
Grimes, Iowa, United States
Royce Samford Royce Samford