Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Broodstock and larval nutrition in successful aquaculture

Feeds for the future: the importance of better broodstock and larval nutrition in successful aquaculture

Published: November 22, 2006
Summary
Introduction The future of aquaculture production, as in other animal production systems, is towards greater control of the physical, chemical and biological variables surrounding the production system. The trend from collection of wild fry to the development of hatcheries for fry production, from the use of wild spawners to the use of maturation systems and ultimately closing the reproductive...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Mohammad
27 de diciembre de 2012

Dear sir/ madam
What's your idea if we use the sand worm ( red California worm) In maturation diet how's the profile of this worm if we replaced whit blood worm because this worm is more cheap than blood worm 
Best regard
M.gorgij

Melissa Rommens
12 de febrero de 2013

I am seeking a vitamin supplement for cold water marine fish that is encapsulated or otherwise bound in a pellet (e.g. wheat middlings). The intent is to insert the vitamins into raw fish for feeding to recently caught wild broodstock. Does anyone know of a source for such a supplement, or a company that can make a supplement to my specifications - without requiring an excessively large order?

Chris Bentley
13 de febrero de 2013

We used to break up children's chew-able vitamins and put the pieces inside the raw fish. Low tech approach but effective. You can even get them with extra DHA now.

Melissa Rommens
13 de febrero de 2013

The problem with this is an imbalance of key Vitamins. Overdose of some, underdose of others.

Chris Bentley
21 de febrero de 2013

You could try Invie breed-M. I have used that and mixed with gelatin to improve water stability. It is intended to be used as a fully balanced semi-moist diet. So it is not going to be like a vitamin/mineral pre-mix, but could probably be inserted into raw fish and give them a boost that is formulated for broodstock. If you can get the fish onto the semi-moist diet, that product is well formulated.

Melissa Rommens
21 de febrero de 2013

Thanks Chris. We've talked about Breed M and there's a trial underway now to see how some marine fish perform reproductively so we are looking forward to those results.
We currently insert a dry broodstock feed formulated for salmonids into the wet fish.
We previously had tried converting our brood to a commercially produced broodstock feed that we made into a moist pellet and the results were near disastrous: poor acceptability, poor body condition, poor spawning results. We are therefore a little cautious now about this prospect.

Adedeji Olushola Isaiah
10 de junio de 2013
I am Adedeji Olushola Isaiah by name. i attended a seminar at Abuja where by the person said there is nothing like broodstock that the fish were just table size.
Huynh Duc Thien
20 de marzo de 2015
Dear Sir ! How about Selenium in feed ?
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister