Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Phytate as an anti-nutrient for poultry and swine

Published: October 24, 2013
Summary
Phytate Phytin (deposited complex of inositol hexaphosphate with potassium, magnesium and calcium), more recognized in animal nutrition as phytate, is the major storage form of phosphorus (P) present in seeds. Originally recognised as a source of P during germination, the presence of phytin in the seed during the germination process is now also known to play an important role in preventing oxi...
Related topics:
Authors:
Tiago Santos
AB Vista
Recommend
Comment
Rafael Duran
IFF - International Flavors & Fragrances
28 de noviembre de 2013

Hello Tiago, interesting article, many thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. Since at the end of the day you would recommend to use a certain value for your phytase in the feed formulation, my question would be double: i) how do you come to those values - matrix values - you recommend and, ii) are these values for avP/dP and Ca very different for poultry than for pigs?. And last but not least, would you say that phytases, based on the phytate nature - at same level of phytate - would have a different efficiacy?. Many thanks and greetings from Madrid.

Recommend
Tiago Santos
AB Vista
29 de noviembre de 2013
Hello Rafael, Good to talk to you again. There are several questions here so I'll try to answer them one by one: 1) how do you come to those values - matrix values - you recommend. Mtrix recommendation are usually calculated in a dose response trial with diets with different levels of P. Based on the performance of the treatment with phytase inclusion, the P release is calculated. Calculation for other nutrients depends a lot on each supplier as they are much more dufficult to be done in a straitforward trial. 2) are these values for avP/dP and Ca very different for poultry than for pigs? In our research we have't seen big differences in phytase effectiveness between growing/finisher pigs and broilers. Expectoins would be layers, where phytase is more efficient, and piglets, where phytate concentration in the diet become a limitation. 3) would you say that phytases, based on the phytate nature - at same level of phytate - would have a different efficiacy? Yes, different phytases will have different efficacies in vivo. Not all phytases are the same. Tiago Tedeschi dos Santos
Recommend
Rafael Duran
IFF - International Flavors & Fragrances
30 de noviembre de 2013
Thanks once more Tiago, very clear and good answers though the last one, due to my lack of good explanation, is not what I asked; indeed I also think phytases have different efficiacies. But my last question, here I try again: considering the same phytase - the one you talk about, let´s say - and same phytate level, would you expect even if from a practical point of view you don´t recommend, that the efficiency differs in P release?. Thanks again and greetings from Madrid.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.