Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Hen study: Omega-3 to avoid broken bones

Published: July 17, 2009
Summary
There are many potential health benefits of consuming omega-3 found in fish oil and flax seed. Researchers are now looking at how omega-3 can help laying hens avoid bone damage. A grant of £1.7 mln has been awarded to Dr John Tarlton of the University of Bristol's Matrix Biology Research Group in the School of Clinical Veterinary Sciences by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Re...
Recommend
Comment
Arshaq Ramzee
22 de julio de 2009
A good idea to prevent bone breakage in laying hens but the idea is very expensive and who is going to pay extra cost at the end, the poor consumer. I am also wondering that generally free range birds have very low incidence of bone damage as these birds have more exercise then the layers confined to cages or close house (even on floor). But here news is different that there is an increase incidences of fractures in open range birds. This might be a result of a poorly balanced feed of some individual flocks. I genuinely believe that this is not a general case. I wonder if grant of 1.7 million dollar can be used wisely, may be for some genuine issue.
Recommend
Ganesh Kumar Dahal
Guybro Chemical
24 de julio de 2009
Very genuine comment of Dr.A. Ramzee. Cost benefit ratio could not be ignored in animal farming.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.