Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

The control of coccidiosis in poultry farms

Forum: Coccidiosis in poultry farms

Published: May 6, 2011
By: Syed Anjum

I am a doctor in Pakistan related to poultry feed and I mostly check poultry farms. I have been facing coccidiosis problem from 4 to 5 months in the field. There is mostly litter dry and climate in pakistan is mostly dry. But my poultry farmers face the coccidiosis problem in three or four times during 42 days of flock. This causes great economic losses to them. Mostly I use sulfaquinoxaline or toltrazuril salt in water and clopidol in feed to control and treat coccidiosis but sometimes coccidiosis attack is sever and no medicine works. I am working as technical advisor in poultry farms from last 7 years but didnot see so much coccidiosis in my 7 years. I am facing very difficulty even in hot environment and dry littler conditions to control coccidiosis. Can you give me your valuable suggestions?

Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Muhammad Yousaf
Muhammad Yousaf
1 de junio de 2011
cocci may b secondry to some primary issue.in case without removing the primary route cause one may face the mentioned situation as treatment may solve the problem timely but can not eradicate that.
Recommend
Mahmood Ali Tabassum
2 de junio de 2011
Thanks All ,very informative and practical discussion, after proper diagnose ,if there is cocci problem,i have observed it that even in dry litter we have problem of cocci,if it is diagnosed the use ionophores and chemicals in combination along with 3 days ADEK solve the problem.
Recommend
Syed Anjum
Syed Anjum
Author
4 de junio de 2011

dear doctors may ALLAH BLESS YOU.your useful points are very helpful for me in future disease diagnosis.sometimes when coccidiosis is severe i think it may cause necrosis of intestine or hemorrhoegic lesions in intestine.and sometimes it takes 4 or 5 days to birds to recover from coccidiosis.i want to ask that can we use some antibiotics like amoxycillin or neomycine along with sulfa drug or toltrazuril to treat coccidiosis and secondary enteriitis at the same time or it may be harmful.i wil be very thankful if you share you information or experiences for this.thanks a lot.doctor syed

Recommend
Dr Wisal M.Khan
5 de junio de 2011
Dear Dr sb it will be better that you treat the problem if it is cocci diagnosed or you did it , for a period of 3-5 days accordingly .then after it will be better you give some thing for the NE . IF you want to give some drugs for cocci + NE than better some thing like S.Diamidine also in your consideration as it will help you in recovering entreitis followed by NE . if you want to treat with some others and if you have also / facing problem for the Nephritis or some othe kidneys problem and dont want to use the SULPHA than use the Amproium and than in this case you can add the COLISTIN also with it , as it has a very effective role for the NE so the problem will be solve . yes it will be good that if you Amoxy/Neo but better uese these drugs after the cocci medication and it will be better that you keep your PH Little bit acidic ( Intestinal) so than drug will work more efficently and also if you use these two with some other Drugs like With Colistin Than better results . Mean while if you have the flock on the Mash Feeding than better to change it on the crumbs feeding . Hope that some of these points will help to over come with cocci problem .
Recommend
Mustafa Mohammed Abdul Aziz
9 de junio de 2011
Thanks for all who share in this topic But very strange no one mentioned about using COCCI vaccines which is more effective beter economicaly The vaccine are avialable @ realy since we are using we get rid from ccosistat headache and all cocci problems ,specialy in breeders ,GP @ layers Try you will be satisfied fo emazing results Thanks with best regards Dr. Mustafa A.Aziz
Recommend
Dr Wisal M.Khan
9 de junio de 2011

Thanks for all regarding the treatment and preventive measures for the cocci out breaks in the feild the use of cocci vaccinces is better to use in High value chicks like PL , GP ,PS and in layer flocks give very good results .
Better to use Multi strains containing vaccince and also look for the Method of vaccinations is important and the age of the vaccination. Mostly now one can do this vaccine from day old on wards up to 3 weeks of age .
Taking care for some vaccince companies as when some one will give it in the D/ W as there must be some preventive measure before starting the vaccinces and also at the end .
How ever the brolier flocks for which the topics started has got and shared so much informative discussuion from all over the world who are participitating at this Forum .
Thanks

Recommend
Rana Tanveer Zia
Rana Tanveer Zia
9 de junio de 2011

Dear Syed Anjum, I also agree with Srir anjani and Nitin Suryavanish.
If you can use Bacillus Subtilis along with some lactic acid producing bacteria in combination with metabolic products of fermentation with regular drinking water. You can start this treatment from day 10 or from day 22. I hope you will find a very effective control on your all above mention problems.If you use too much chemicals may be you cant find a good FCR. If you required these products i can help you to find it. "MAX GROW" is a product which we are using from last year we have a complete control on entritis, coccidiosis and our FCR is 28.5 to 29.5 from last 7 flocks. If you need any help feel free to contact me.
Rana Tanveer Zia

Recommend
Syed Anjum
Syed Anjum
Author
9 de junio de 2011
thanks all doctor sb for so much valuable commments.everytime i learn from you.i never learnt so much in my 7 yrs career as in this forum.
Recommend
Syed Anjum
Syed Anjum
Author
9 de junio de 2011

everytime you have new things about coccidiosis or necrotic enteritits pls share with me.thanks again

Recommend
Dr.shyam R.vane
Vetoquinol
10 de junio de 2011
Should go for the combination of Sulphaquinoxaline and diveridine .And also check that there might be sub-clinical IBD which can cause treatment failures.If it is there do proper disinfection of shed with pheno + cresol combinationl,give liquid amino acids for at least 15 days.
Recommend
Dr Wisal M.Khan
11 de junio de 2011
@Dr.shyam R.vane The using of aa for a period of 15 days will creat again the problem , better to use only vitamins ADEK only in D/W and if u think that you also facing the problem with IBD than one can think to use the E.SEL. Vit to boost the Titers for IBD & other disease as in the cocci the Titers will drop so quickly , so better omplete the treatment and then one can start it thes use of ESEL but check the doasge level Most of the product availble in the Mraket are in the Liquid Fourm and their dosage is 20-25 ml / 200 Litters of water .
Recommend
Tarusenga Munyanyi
17 de junio de 2011

coccidiosis is always found in the environment and usually you will start to not it few days post placement of chicks. It is usually assciated with poor hygiene falut likers , Over crowding, floors that are not cemented , Enteritis can also predispose to high level of coccidia infection.

Recommend
Saikim Gimbang
27 de junio de 2011
Dear All, Very good discussion, well for cocci I think the most important is the farm management /litter management. Good judgment and diagnosis is very important, using anticocci in rotation, say change in every three months and correct dosage is very critical. Using anticoccidal in feed is a good option to control outbreak but must use feed grade or otherwise useless. Using acidifier is also an option but one must know what pH level at gut otherwise also no result. Well the key point is the FARM MANAGEMENT/LITTER MANAGEMENT you can also use vaccine.
Recommend
Syed Anjum
Syed Anjum
Author
9 de julio de 2011
how r you all friends.i mostly observe in field there kinds of droppings of birdsi mean chocolate colored secondly inclined to red and sometimes loose green droppings,if i advise farmers to go to laboratory and get checked for droppings,it is very time cosuming and sometimes laboratories are too far.can you guide me how can i recognise in field that these droppings are either of enteritis or coccidiosis.i wil be very thankful if you guide me in this regard.thanks
Recommend
Dr.manoj Urmaliya
23 de agosto de 2012
How can i differenciate between coccidiosis and necrotic enteritis?
Recommend
Dr zeeshan
18 de enero de 2017

Can you please mention liiteron composition
Is it available in Pakistan?

Recommend
Tonya Strait
2 de enero de 2019

Coccidiosis is caused by various species of Eimeria, an Apicomplexa protozoan parasite. It is one of the common diseases in poultry, which is responsible for major economic losses worldwide.

The disease occurs only after ingestion of sporulated oocysts in susceptible hosts. Both clinically infected and recovered birds shed oocysts in their droppings, which contaminate feed, dust, water, litter, and soil. Oocysts may be transmitted by mechanical carriers.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.