Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Dietary modulation of endogenous host defense peptide synthesis as an alternative approach to in-feed antibiotics

Published: November 8, 2018
Summary
1. Introduction In-feed supplementation of antibiotics was firstly reported to promote growth in chickens (Moore et al., 1946) and subsequently in pigs (Jukes et al., 1950; Luecke et al., 1950). Since then, antibiotics have been routinely used in livestock production at subtherapeutic levels for disease prevention and growth promotion and are more commonly known as antibiotic growth promoters ...
Related topics
Authors:
Glenn Zhang
Oklahoma State University
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Juarez Donzele
Universidade Federal de Viçosa - UFV
19 de abril de 2019

Dr. Zhang, I congratulate you on the published article. If I am not mistaken, I think that one of the problems of using the medicated diet with high doses of antimicrobials in the production of pork that is adopted in some countries is exactly the effect of these drugs in reducing the production of antimicrobial peptides that are naturally produced by animals due to the decreased activity of the microbiota.

Luechai Ippoodom
Thai Vet Nutri Tech Co.Ltd
20 de abril de 2019

I'm very interested in this article due to my 40 years of experience in Thai Livestock production, which tries to avoid using Antibiotics in animal farming. The good management practices and the ABO alternatives are most concerned. I would like to collect more information and learn more to educate and advise our customers.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister