Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Butyrate: Feeding the Gut and Beyond for Animal Health

Published: January 31, 2014
Summary
Introduction In North America, there has been a tremendous body of research in recent years to find the ideal product or program to replace or reduce the use of antibiotics in livestock and poultry production. This is driven by the legislation in the EU and the pressure the health-care system has placed on the use of sub-therapeutic levels of antibiotics for growth promotion. There have been m...
Related topics
Authors:
James Pierce
Adisseo
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr Dilipkumar Mane
14 de febrero de 2014
What should be the composition of BUTYRATE in diet and the schedule of feeding? Can we prefer sodium n-butyrate for the trial?
Rafael Duran
IFF - International Flavors & Fragrances
17 de febrero de 2014
Hello Dr. Pierce. My question correlates very much with pigs more than poultry. How effective could be feeding some fibres which could eventually scape small intestinal digestion and being digested/fermented in the caeca-hind gut, producing effective butyrate?. If this was the case, what sort of fibre would you recommend to attain this objective?. Many thanks from Madrid, Rafa.
James Pierce
14 de marzo de 2014
Dr.Mane, yes, we recommend Na-Butyrate Rafa, I understand your question, but do not have a definite answer. The coated Na-butyrate we use is released along the small intestine where it can provide direct energy to the enterocytes. What you are suggesting with fibers would probably work best in older pigs, especially reproducing sows. Thank you both for your interest and let me know if I can answer any further questions. James
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister