Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Practical Dietary Approaches to Increase Longissimus Intramuscular Fat Content and Their Influence on Glycolytic Potential and Pork Quality Characteristics

Published: August 10, 2020
Summary
Introduction In the pork industry, the trend towards producing lean carcasses is still occurring, concurrently with a demand from certain specific markets for pork products with high intramuscular fat (IMF) in an attempt to ensure palatability.  A positive effect of IMF content on the eating quality of pork has been reported by a number of authors (Castell, 1994; Fernandes et al., 1999; B...
Related topics:
Authors:
Michael Ellis
University of Illinois
Alvaro Rojo Gomez
Provimi
Recommend
Comment
Juarez Donzele
Universidade Federal de Viçosa - UFV
1 de octubre de 2020

Alvaro Rojo Gomez, I congratulate the authors for an excellent and timely review. As I implemented a research program with pigs of different sexes, aiming to evaluate nutritional programs with variation in the levels of digestible lysine (LD) for pigs from 65 to 160 days, therefore slaughtered with body weight above 100 Kg. I obtained data that confirm that rations with LD levels, below that recommended for different weight ranges, resulting in a greater amount of intramuscular fat, without impairing the animals' performance and carcass. Two of these studies were even published here at ENGORMIX, with the respective titles of Lysine requirement for growing-finishing immunocastrated male pigs and Nutritional plans of digestible lysine for growing-finishing gilts.

In addition to these works, a summary was also published with considerations on the results of this research program under the title; Reducing the cost of pig production is possible, where there is information about the fat content of the animals' muscle. In the opportunity, I associated the increase in intramuscular fat due to the possible increase in the enzyme fatty acid synthetase (FAs) and reduction in the activity of the muscle sensitive hormone lipase (HSL) enzyme caused by the lower level of LD.

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.