engormix
search
search
The service is not available to contact this company from United States

Polyherbal Antidiarrheal and gut function modulator for pigs

Published on: 01/22/2019
Author/s : Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey, Ph.D.

“All disease begins with the gut.”- Hippocrates Post weaning diarrhoea or problems related to gastro-intestinal tract is one of the most frequent causes of heavy economic losses in pig herds. The major bacteria which causes diarrhoea are E. coli and members of the genera Clostridium, Lawsonia and Brachyspira. The important viruses involved are coronaviruses and rotaviruses. Numerous...

remove_red_eye 156 forum 6 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
Steffen Hansen Steffen Hansen
Animal Nutritionist
January 22, 2019
How many replicates/pens per treatment group?
Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey
BVSc & AH, MVSc.(Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology), PhD (Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology)
Ayurvet Limited Ayurvet Limited
Delhi, India
January 22, 2019

Mr. Steffen Hansen, Thanks a lot for your time to go through the article.
The results presented here are based on the field trial. In this farm, growing piglets of 48 to 50 days age were divided into two groups. One control and other Liq-biotic treated group. The control group contains 1659 growing piglets and liq-biotic group consists of 1597 no pf growing piglets.

Animal Nutritionist
January 22, 2019

Dr. Amit Kumar Pandey, I was asking for number of pens per treatment group and not the number of animals per treatment. I am not sure if I understand you correctly, did you treat one house with Liqbiotic and then another house served as control group?

BVSc & AH, MVSc.(Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology), PhD (Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology)
Delhi, India
January 29, 2019

Steffen Hansen
Yes, Mr. Steffen, one house is taken as control and another one taken as Liq-biotic treated. When you see the number of animals in control and the treated group is different, it is because the different houses are not accommodating the same number of animals.

Animal Nutritionist
January 29, 2019
From the article it appears that "Successful scientific herbal replacement of antibiotics in case of diarrhea in piglets with significant FCR improvement." IMHO the conclusion is wrong. I am sorry to say, but you cannot conclude anything because of the trial design. I could as well conclude that the effect on FCR was caused by the building.
Delhi, India
January 30, 2019

Mr. Steffen Hansen,

You are right to some extent, but both the house is under same management and feeding conditions and we can't expect this much variation in FCR due to different building.

print
(156)
(6)
Would you like to discuss about this topic: Polyherbal Antidiarrheal and gut function modulator for pigs?
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Dan L. McDermott
Dan L. McDermott
Bachelor of Science ANIMAL SCIENCE
  Rock Island, Illinois, United States