Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Manure management

Modern Swine Housing Design

Published: February 28, 2011
Summary
Manure Management, Odor and Diseases Control Livestock Producers are going through much criticism for creating pollution and diseases problems. In the mean time farmers having production problems (costly manure handling, high energy consumption, medicine cost and most important barn is not save working place).    One of the long-standing and costly problems of handling manure ...
Related topics:
Authors:
Aron Itkin
Recommend
Comment
Mpoki Alinanuswe
13 de noviembre de 2012

The idea is good but need sufficient water which is cheap and needs high investment capital

Recommend
Daryl Samaroo
22 de marzo de 2013

Idea sounds good and practical but in all designs I have seen canals leading to pit/septic tanks. Do u foresee any challenges in using sufficiently sized pipes to maintain flows and avoid settling of solids? This can be designed with branched feeders into a main line to preliminary treatment. Wash down would be simplier for a smooth surface flow even minimising water volumes?

Another advantage can be that the pipe can be placed externally so parallel buildings can use same main. Wash downs can be scheduled in a staggered manner so pipe does not need to be overdesigned.

Having said the above I guess it comes down to economies of scale? Your thoughts?

Ds

Recommend
Dexter Wamuyoo Noyoo
26 de marzo de 2013
where is the design dexter
Recommend
Paul Walker Thompson
31 de julio de 2013
Dear Aron Itkin, You have some interesting ideas represented here. With a flat roof and the prompt removal of solid swine waste, I find myself wondering what the ventilation concept is for this design? PWT
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.