Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Diahrrea Treatment

Forum: Guava Leaves as Diahrrea Treatment

Published: December 12, 2012
By: Randall Ellis

On our pig farm, Surin Farm – Chiang Mai, Thailand, my Thai wife often takes a heavily leaved branch from a guava tree and throws it into a pen when the pigs have diarrhea. The pigs love to eat the leaves and most of the time within a day the pigs that had diarrhea are once again healthy.

Out of curiosity I searched the internet and read about the June 2004 “Healthcare Use for Diarrhea and Dysentery” study where Kaljee L M (et al) interviewed people in Viet Nam. His study found that in home treatment some people used guava leaves for diarrhea. A 29-year old woman discussed the use of guava leaves in her household. "My house has a guava tree for the treatment of diarrhea. When someone gets diarrhea, we pick some leaves from the top of the guava branch and put them into water with a little salt and cook. I also read the 2011 “Review on Nutritional, Medicinal and Pharmacological Properties of Guava” by Baby Joseph and Mini Priya wherein they wrote: Guava leaf extract has also shown to have tranquilizing effect on intestinal smooth muscle, inhibit chemical processes found in diarrhea and aid in the re-absorption of water in intestines.

In other research, an alcoholic leaf extract was reported to have a morphine-like effect, by inhibiting the gastrointestinal release of chemicals in acute diarrheal disease. This morphine-like effect was thought to be related to a chemical, quercetin. The effective use of guava in diarrhea, dysentery and gastroenteritis can also be related to guava's documented antibacterial properties (Lozoya et al., 1994, 1990; Tona et al., 2000).

My question is this; has anyone used guava leaves for treatment of piglets in the farrow barn and/or piglets in the nursery barn? If so I would like to know how you administered and controlled the quantity of guava the piglets consumed.