Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Adverse effects on growth performance and bone development in nursery pigs fed diets marginally deficient in phosphorus with increasing calcium to available phosphorus ratios

Published: April 5, 2021
Summary
Introduction Calcium (Ca) and phosphorus (P) are the two most abundant minerals in the body of the pig and are required for many important physiological functions (Oster et al., 2016). The vast majority of Ca—about 99%—is not only present in skeletal tissues (Nielson, 1972), but it also fulfills other very important roles involving blood clotting, nerve impulse transmission, muscle...
Related topics:
Authors:
John Patience
Iowa State University
Recommend
Comment
Juarez Donzele
Universidade Federal de Viçosa - UFV
12 de abril de 2021
Dr John Patience, for his great experience in experimenting with pigs, would like to know your opinion, specifically about the Ca: P relationship in pig feed. Based on the results of studies conducted by our team, aiming to evaluate the requirement of Ca and P for pigs, we found that if the Ca level of the feed is not above the animal's requirement, the Ca: P ratio can vary considerably without negative influence performance. In this way, we understand that the Ca: P e 'ratio is of fundamental importance, especially if the Ca level is in excess. What we confirm at work. Does the Lord have any information about it? Do these results not confirm with post-weaning pigs
Recommend
John Patience
Iowa State University
12 de abril de 2021
Juarez Donzele Thank you Prof. Donzele for your question. My understanding of the literature would indicate that when establishing Ca and P levels in the diet, the first step is to ensure that the STTD or available P level is above requirement. If it is close to or below requirement, then the ratio of Ca:STTD P or Ca: aP is very, very important. As P rises above requirement, then the ratio becomes less critical. This is important practically due to the difficulty of manufacturing feed with a precise level of calcium in the diet; the bulk density of limestone appears to make it more challenging to work with than many other ingredients. I am afraid I am not aware of any studies conducted with Ca below requirement, so your data would be very interesting to me.
Recommend
Steven Jagger
AB Agri - Associated British Agriculture
29 de junio de 2021
Dr John Patience. Thank you for your paper. Are you able to indicate the assumed levels of calcium and phosphorus supplied by the added phytase? Thank you.
Recommend
John Patience
Iowa State University
29 de junio de 2021
We assumed 0.10% aP released by 250 FTU Natuphos/kg.
Recommend
Rahab Martins
30 de junio de 2021
I'm apig farmer ,i lost my sow that just Farrow what should I give the piglets
Recommend
John Patience
Iowa State University
30 de junio de 2021
Before I can answer this question, I would need to know how old the piglets are. It would also help for me to know what ingredients you have available to feed to the pigs.
Recommend
Rahab Martins
30 de junio de 2021
The piglets are 10( ten) days old
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.