Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Particle size and pelletizing

Published: October 26, 2017
By: Luis Mansilla

Good day. Sticking exclusively to the processing/treatment, I would like to specify some aspects to improve the use of fiber in pigs:
- It is important to quantify the particle size of the most relevant grains, such as grasses: maize, sorghum and legumes: Soy, for example. The studies conclude that particles of maize grain and GF sorghum with respect to grains> 1,000 μm. In the case of Soy, it has been shown that between 600 and 700 μm is the recommended range in most diets for pigs (rearing and adults). Other species of grains such as wheat, rapeseed, etc., does not necessarily follow the aforementioned tendency; which has generated some uncertainty and discouragement in some researchers. In my opinion, I consider that the atypical behavior of these is mainly due to its different germplasm pattern.
- With respect to pelletizing, it has been shown that this processing produces an increase in C.A between 4 and 12%, as well as ADG.
-Finally I consider it appropriate to highlight some studies regarding the beneficial treatment of NaOH, which as a hydrolytic agent can solubilize the CPC (hemicellulose-lignin matrix and silica), therefore pigs fed with sorghum treated with NaOH increased the digestibility of N and Energy, In another study; pigs fed Leucaena leucocephala flour had better N retention compared to pigs fed untreated Leucaena leucocephala.
Apart from the above, it is unquestionable that more research should be carried out consistently. Best regards from Peru.