Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Sexed Semen Applications in Dairy Cattle

Published: July 29, 2013
Summary
Semen of most mammalian species can be sexed with greater than 90% accuracy with an instrument called a flow cytometer/cell sorter. Unfortunately, the process is slow relative to the number of sperm in a typical artificial insemination dose. Furthermore, the process damages sperm, although to a lesser degree than current procedures for cryopreservation. Because of these limitations, commercially ...
Related topics
Authors:
George E. Seidel
Colorado State University
Recommend
Comment
Yusuf Ziya Cakir
1 de agosto de 2013
Dear Prof. Siedel it is very nice to see highly valued academician in reproduction field in this platform and thanks to summarised article about sexed semen use and technology. I got a lot of help from you while I was working in the field in 2009-2010 with 1000 head holstein herd and I used sexed semen in some heifers. With your academic support we got 100 heifer calves in the program and they are used our genetic improvement program now. I am looking forward to your further articles and recommend engormix followers to follow Mr. Siedel MY REGARDS
Recommend
Dr Muhammad Ramzan
1 de agosto de 2013
A very good article and thought provoking.Prices of sexed semen in the market are 10 times as compared to normal semen.This price difference sometime stops extensive use of sexed semen although the need exists.One more point that in Pakistan female calving results are not coming 90% and no semen selling company guarantee this very very important aspect.More guidance and elaboration is needed please.
Recommend
Ella Marks
10 de octubre de 2015
Hi there! I am a student in Essex and I am completing a research project on dairy farming, particularly investigating the impacts of reproductive technology on increasing milk yield, in comparison to nutritional and environmental factors. I was wondering if you would be kind enough to complete a questionnaire I have generated to gather primary research: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/63C36VL Thank you! Ella.
Recommend
Shiva Nath Mahato
14 de marzo de 2018
Hello There, I am Shiva Nath Mahato, working as Senior Livestock Development Officer at Department of Livestock Services, Nepal. I am working in the field of dairy breed improvement and for that we are applying Artificial Insemination techniques. For AI we are producing frozen semen also. Other thing is that in field level for AI our government import female sexed semen of cattle from US and apply in field AI. Now by using female sexed semen for AI, about 10-15 percent male calves were born. Now my concern is that, what will be the genetic capability and reproductive efficiency of those male calves and can we use those male calves as breeding bull for frozen semen production ? Looking forward to get your valuable suggestions. Thanks.
Recommend
Showahidmiah
5 de abril de 2023

Very good

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.