Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Healthy Hooves Contribute for Higher Revenue and Lower Costs

Published: November 20, 2007
Summary
Ensuring your dairy herd has healthy feet not only helps you sidestep unwelcome costs, it can put more milk in your bulk tank and more dollars in your pocket. One recent study suggests that a single cow coming up lame during a lactation could set you back by more than $200 in reduced production alone. Along with reduced milk production, direct losses from lameness include drug costs, veterinary f...
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Helga Dietrich
Organic Farm & garden Supplies
1 de diciembre de 2007
Presently there are so many interesting articles in Engormix that I just have to write a comment because these are subjects I know a lot about and that also touch my heart as I do care very much about animals - how we treat them and how much they abused. The saying what goes around comes around makes we wonder how often it becomes a reality because then an overwhelming number of the managers, owners, staff and responsible people in the industry should experience heart ships of any kind in their life because of what they do to the animals - may that be in piggeries, dairies, feed lots etc. The article is very good and very true. However many stock farmers will not follow the advise because of extra labour and thus extra costs. But this can be avoided: Now this is not supposed to be a marketing effort however I would like to be the one to supply you with the product if anyone is interested. I am talking as so many times before about a natural feed additive based an CC or molasses of which you need very little (from the CC 50 g in a ton of feed or 3 g per unit per day). The additive will clear the intestines of parasites and create a more aerobic condition thus improving the whole metabolism of the animal (its quite amazing how well it works) resulting in better performance and production. But thats not all - environmental pollution is reduced due to more aerobic manure, lesser methane gas expulsion (carbon credits)and better and healthier hoofs. The milk production in most cases increases, the somatic cell counts decrease. To top these results further one sprays a little of our K onto the manure it gets drier, starts a decomposing process (rotting is always bad for us and the animals, rotting breeds pathogens decomposing eliminates them) better fertilizer. Helga
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.