Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Large-Scale Biofloc Tank Culture of Tilapia in Malawi – a Technical Success Story

Published: July 27, 2018
Summary
Malawi — a Fish Eating Nation Although Malawi is endowed with the ninth largest lake in the world and the third largest and second deepest lake in Africa, overfishing resulted in the collapse of the tilapia fishery around 1990- 1991. Tilapia, known locally as chambo, is the country’s favorite fish and now costs from US$ 4.00-8.00/kg (R55-110/ kg) for whole or live fish. This is a ...
Related topics
Authors:
Ramon Kourie
SustAqua Fish Farms Pty Ltd.
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Atul Priyadarshi
5 de diciembre de 2018

Can you explain to me about water preparation for Bioflok, ingredients, their Quantity in 1000 lt. of water, and other required processes?

Dilip Jha
12 de diciembre de 2018

Thanks a lot for the information. It is better to start with fundamentals of Biofloc technology.

Sujith
18 de febrero de 2019
More about. Biofloc fish farming
Sujith
18 de febrero de 2019

I would like to know more about biofloc tetechnology.
How to make floc?
What are the types of fishes to be grown in biofloc?
Can we grow fishes in tarpolin tank?
What is the density of such tanks?
How to maintain ammonia and ph value of water?

Sujith
27 de febrero de 2019
Tarpolin tank. . 10000lt. .
Ramon Kourie
SustAqua Fish Farms Pty Ltd.
18 de febrero de 2019
Dear Atul, Dilip and Sujith I will respond very soon. I'm very tied up chasing a deadline on an important task at the moment. Give me a couple of days. Best Ramon
Tinashe Makuvise
4 de agosto de 2019
Interested in biofloc
amit malhan
20 de agosto de 2019

Hi, please mail me just want to know about biofloc farming and can we done in one acre in open water?

DIPESH KHANAL
25 de agosto de 2019

What are the procedures to formulate the probiotic in biofloc?

raji panicker
raji panicker
17 de noviembre de 2019

Hi all,

I would like to know how to lower ph in biofloc tank during water preparation. My initial ph of water was 8.8 after aeration it's 9.2. what should I use to lower ph which is safely used in aquaculture. Alum is toxic to fish hence have to be used with caution, vinegar I tried once but then slowly my ph goes back to 9.2. Kindly suggest me any organic or organic fertilizer. Carbon source jaggery I can't add in large amount add the volatility. Inducing co2 is not cost effective in India.
Hi Sir,

Can you please let me know how to lower ph from 9.3 to 7.5? Using CO2 Gas is not cost effective. Sodium bicarbonate Lowers and adjust Alkalinity but not effective. Acetic acid lower but slowly gets back to actual ph. alum can lower but toxic to fish. There are cottonseed meal, soybean meal and cracked corn don't know how effective it is. Request your guidance.

Thanks,
Raji Panicker

RAJENDRA KRISHNAKANT SATLA
Uniphos Agro Industries Ltd
11 de junio de 2020
In order to maintain 28 degree temperature in bio floc - mainly in winter - we have to enclose the tanks in packed shade or poly house . It is also said that if I maintain C: N ratio of 15 :1 by adding sugar (Carbon source ) in tank there is no need to add any probiotics -I want to know the facts
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister