A family of fungi has been identified as a possible source of an outbreak of pancytopenia that has affected more than 500 cats across the country.
Researchers at the RVC have said as many as 319 cats have now died as a result of the outbreak of pancytopenia.
Previously the surge in cases had been linked to a Lincolnshire pet food factory, prompting the recall of three major brands of cat food thought to be affected.
An RVC spokesman said: “Our investigations are ongoing, and we are still collecting data from practising veterinarians, as well as testing food samples associated with affected and unaffected cats to determine the significance of these findings.
“We have shared our results with the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to assist it with its investigations into this matter.
“To support our ongoing efforts, we are encouraging vets who have seen cats with unexplained severe thrombocytopenia or neutropenia, with or without concurrent anaemia, to complete our survey.”
Mycotoxins are toxic compounds that are naturally produced by certain types of moulds. Moulds that can produce mycotoxins are able to grow on dry foods such as cereals.
You can read the complete report here.