Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

causes of mastitis on sow

Forum: Mastitis in sows

Published: January 6, 2004
By: Roberta Hint

Anyone knows what are the most common causes for mastitis? What treatment should I start on affected sows? Is it a bad milk for the piglets? Thanks for helping.

Roberta

Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Roy Pepple
Roy Pepple
8 de enero de 2004

Most of the time I have had mastitis is when I have overfed the sows right before farrowing. You should restrict their feed for 2-3 days before they farrow. I just use penicillin and I put some bigger pigs on her so they can suck the milk out of her.

Roy

Recommend
Mike Harris
Mike Harris
9 de enero de 2004

When you identify sows with mastitis, the first thing you need to do is treat the sow with dexamethasome. One treatment of 20cc will do the trick. You can also, after injecting dex, put big pigs on the sow or gilt for one day. For example, if you identify mastitis on a sow in the morning give her 20cc dex, and find a big litter to swap for the day. Before going home, swap the litter back. I hope that answers your question.

Recommend
Paul
Paul
9 de enero de 2004

Never give dexamethasome to sows with mastitis unless you are absolutely sure that there is no infection of the udder present (im most cases there will be!), or that the infection will definitely be eliminated by antibiotics that you are giving simultaneously. For practical advice on the causes and treatment of mastitis treatment see the new on-farm manual:
"Pig Production Problems" by John Gadd
http://www.pigjournal.co.uk/books/Gadd.htm

Recommend
Kondom Ahangba Isaac
31 de mayo de 2020

I discovered mastitis in my sow. What can I do?

Recommend
Richard  Vernon
8 de julio de 2021
I have a show who I think had mastitis she only had 5 piglets and had a job to feed them she eventually came to enough milk to feed them but it took a while will she be ok to breed again
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.