Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

biotechnology in mycotoxins

Forum: Application of biotechnology in mycotoxins

Published: February 3, 2010
By: Dr O’Flannegan

Good day,
We know that chemical methods to decontaminate mycotoxins have been widely used, especially for aflatoxins. Lately the usage of alumino-silicates as absorbents is more common. But these methods are rarely applied to human consumption.
Nowadays, biotechnology is evolving rapidly, answering to certain industrial needs that before were problems.
Which is the current knowledge about the application of biotechnology in the prevention or decontamination of mycotoxins?

Greetings
Dr O’Flannegan

Related topics
Authors:
Dr O’Flannegan
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Rajendran Duraisamy
3 de marzo de 2010

Greetings
Some of the products may be developed for deactivating the mycotoxin better than products now available.I am enumerating the some products which may be useful to develop.
1. Specific enzyme that cleave the specific mycotoxin are want of this situation. Scientists who are working in the field have to identify and commercialize the enzyme which can split the mycotoxin into nontoxic product is essential at this time. Because specific enzyme is safe and enhances the nutrient utilization of mycotoxin affected feed. In human nutrition it is essential when the milk is containing more than the permissible level of aflatoxin.
2. Specific molecule that can bind specific to the toxin.This can prevent the binding sites where the mycotoxin is binding on the cell or the organelles.
Hope in future better solution are expected from the field of biotechnology for preventing mycotoxin menace

Dr. Rajendran D
Sr. Scientist, National Institute of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Bangaluru

ALBERTO GIMENO
Alberto Gimeno
3 de marzo de 2010

Dear Dr. Rajendran,

You comments are very interesting, however and such as in my article “Brasil challenges the Anti-Mycotoxin Additives” (AMA), is mentioned:

“Other AMA’s act by enzymatic and/or bacterial processes inside the animal and bio-transform the mycotoxins in derivative compounds which can be in general and not always less toxic or not toxic.

It is very important to be careful with the use of these enzymes and/or bacteria bio-transformers since it is necessary to know exactly which are their characteristics and their biotransformation yields For example, the mycotoxin zearalenone can become the isomers alpha and beta zearalenol of which the alpha zearalenol is from 3 to 4 times more estrogenic than the zearalenone.
In the rumen of the cow and of other ruminants, this biotransformation is carried out by the ruminal fluid and the rumen protozoa microflora occurs frequently and zearalenone is degraded to approximately 90[percent] becoming alpha and beta-zearalenol.

For trichotecene mycotoxins, the biotransformation processes should be irreversible and should arrive in final chemical form of DEEPOXI that is non toxic. If some of the intermediate compounds that are formed in these biotransformation remain as residues can be as much or more toxic that the original mycotoxin. Since the objective is that the biotransformation are made, it is necessary to make sure that there are no toxicity risks neither for the animals as well as for the humans because some of those intermediate compounds can remain as toxic residues in edible animal tissues (liver, kidneys, muscle)”.

Therefore is necessary take care with these toxic metabolites because can be a serious risk for the humans.

On the other hand, tell me please which are these specific enzymes that can biotransform the aflatoxins in non toxic compounds. Perhaps, you have information about recently published scientific studies showing that this biotransformation by enzymes, have been achieved

Sincerely.

Gimeno

Shahzad
Shahzad
10 de marzo de 2010
Dear Dr O’Flannegan As a Ph.D. student I have been also using some techniques for the reduction of aflatoxins in chilies like I have been useing antioxidants because they have shown ability to inhabit the aflatoxin producing fungi beside this I think gamma irradiation is also effective way to decontaminate aflatoxins producing fungi.
Rather Irfan
Rather Irfan
3 de marzo de 2011
Dear Dr Gimeno, I think there is no such enzyme which can bio- transform the aflatoxins into non toxic compounds, However, We can control or inhibit Alfatoxin production in food or feed , by using some probiotic treatment rather thn using organic acids. Regards, Irfan
Hussein Hassan
10 de noviembre de 2012

I agree with Dr. irfan, We can control or inhibit Alfatoxin production in food or feed , by using some probiotic treatment rather than using organic acids. also we can inhibit mycotoxins by natural plant extract for example artichoke extract (cynara)
Regards

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister