Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Management of Ectoparasites

Management of Ectoparasites of Livestock

Published: February 23, 2010
Summary
Introduction Ectoparasites have a major effect on the husbandry, productivity and welfare of livestock. These obligate parasites live on, puncture, or burrow into the surface of their host's epidermis, to feed or shelter (1). Ectoparasites are responsible for economic losses to livestock producers. Direct losses Direct losses are a result of discomfort and damage caused by the parasites. ...
Related topics
Authors:
Puneet
Montajat Veterinary Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd.
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Hafiz Wasi Muhammad Khan
27 de febrero de 2010

This is wonderful presentation by Dr Agarwal and Gupta regarding the introduction of ectoparasites, their damage and effective control necessary for profitable
livestock production. Damage caused by ectoparasites was not taken seriously till the introduction of exotic animals or exotic semen in our country as our indigneous animals were considered resistant to ticks and the discomfort caused by them was totally ignored.
Since there was not much awareness about the diseases caused by ectoparasites like anaplasmosis therefore dairy producers had to bear losses both, in milk production and proper animal growth.Death of animals even was not attributed to the actual agents ie ectoparasites.
Now this awareness is coming and this presentation has fully explained the role of ectoparasites being source of so many clamities to livestock producers.I have got satisfactory results of ivermectin and I am regular user of cypermethrin 10[percent] not to allow any sort of such ectoparasites in my herd.
The writers have suggested safer dose of cypermethrine but you can stay any where very safely from 1ml/liter of water to 2ml/liter of water.
If somebody has never used it before he should start spaying his yard and animal with an interval of 15 days and as their circle of growth breaks this interval can be maintained after every three months.I prefer cypermathrine as its active ingredient is pyrethroid which is a contact poison and it does not have any residual effect.
I congratulate authors of this article once again

Sima Heydari
8 de agosto de 2015
Hello Dear Sir/ Madam Recently I'm working on Deltamethrin %5 SC as a animal's ectoparasites I need some information about this , if possible. thank you in advance regards Dr. Sima Heydari
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister