Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Induced breeding of pacu (Piaractus brachypomus) in captivity with pituitary extract

Published: July 10, 2009
Summary
Pacu (Piaractus brachypomus), a native fish of South America recently introduced as an alien species into India via Bangladesh. A tendency has been observed among the fish breeders of Bengal to raise seeds of alien species, principally those that are carnivorous. Besides breeding individual species, the fi sh breeders are also interested in conducting hybridisation programmes between Indian major...
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Jose Enrique Salas Feyth
Jose Enrique Salas Feyth
23 de octubre de 2009

Id like to recieve information on how to introduce SA Pacu (Piaratus brachypomus) to Costa Rica

Recommend
Biplab Banerjee
11 de junio de 2014
Dear Doctor, I would like to know that what will be the dose of synthetic hormone administration for induced breeding of Pacu (P.Brachypomus) in captivity. Plz. also share the details of pre- and post fertilization care to be taken for nursing and increasing survivability of spawn.
Recommend
maloy mukherjee
17 de junio de 2014
recently i injected four males and 2females,but after 12 hours eggs come out as clot with blood.i want to know why i am facing this type of problem.i have facing 2nd times.i used 1st does of female- 2mg/kg,2nd does-10mg/kg,beetween 6 hours,male & female both were fully mature,and female belly was full of eggs, one thing ,when we stripping the fishes then some eggs come out free flowing and clot.after one day i see maximum unfertilised eggs.
Recommend
Biplab Banerjee
19 de junio de 2014
Dear Mr.Mukherjee, Please mention what type of inducing agent has been tried. Whether it is pituitary extract or synthetic hormone? Further in which position the same was injected. I believe this is equally important. Dr.Banerjee
Recommend
Biplab Banerjee
19 de junio de 2014
Yes. Not only Pitutary extract but also synthetic hormone.
Recommend
Biplab Banerjee
9 de agosto de 2014
I've gone through the paper entitled, Induced breeding of pacu (Piaractus brachypomus) in captivity with pituitary extract Published on: 07/10/2009 Author/s : Chattarjee, N.R. & Mazumdar, B.Department of Aquaculture, Faculty of Fishery Sciences, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences. Aquaculture Asia Magazine. There are some sentences are hidden. For example,Generally 2 kg of Induced breeding of pacu (Piaractus brachypomus) in captivity with pituitary extract...............???? Chattarjee, N.R. & Mazumdar, B. Department of Aquaculture, Faculty of Fishery Sciences, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, 5 B.H. Road, P.O. Panchasayar, Kolkata – 700 094, West Bengal, India.........???? feed/ha is given daily at this stocking rate. Within 8-10 days the spawn develop into fry, which are transferred to rearing ponds. it will be appreciated if you kindly discuss the same.
Recommend
Biplab Banerjee
30 de noviembre de 2014
Yes, of course. Most of the hatchery owners of Naihati and Burdwan are to be educated in in Pacu breeding. It is true that only three hatchery owners could successfully produce pacu seeds. Biplab Kr.Banerjee
Recommend
Dipak senapati
19 de julio de 2018

Pleased mention the hormone company name.

Recommend
Melvin
22 de abril de 2021
Hi, is it mandatory to use this pituitary extract? Is there no other way to reproduce these fish?
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.