Discussion created on 05/10/2015

Longevity-Parity 3?

I have been reading some really good research lately, but something about it bothers me. I do understand that a lot of sows are culled before Third Parity, and that this is a good place to start with Sow Longevity. For me personally, five or six parities should be the average for all sows that have farrowed at least once. Good Sow Longevity in my mind is Parity 7 or 8 or more!

Are you able to get good Piglet Birth Weights with today’s Highly-Prolific Sows at Parity 7 and above?

I would love to hear from you on what your sows are doing at Parity 7 and beyond!

References: Foxcroft, George University of Alberta, Edmonton “Potential Productivity Captured for Life” National Hog Farmer Blueprint Series Sow lifetime productivity Pages 5-7 Flowers, Dr. Billy NCSU, Jeff Ballet USDA-ARS, and Joe Cassaday SDSU “Realize Potential Early” National Hog Farmer Blueprint Series Sow lifetime productivity Pages 8-10

remove_red_eye 102 forum 0 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Jon Bergstrom
Jon Bergstrom
Swine Nutrition & Production, Ph.D.
  Plano, Texas, United States

| 
Copyright © 1999-2020 Engormix - All Rights Reserved