Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Mushroom Spent Substrate as Animal Feed Additive

Published: February 20, 2009
Summary
Total Nutraceutical Solutions, Inc. (TNS) announced days ago that the company has signed an agreement with Hokto Kinoko Co. ("Hokto") to acquire mushroom spent substrate from the Hokto facility in San Marcos, CA. The 250,000 square foot growing facility for fresh specialty mushrooms has the potential at full capacity to produce 20-25 tons of spent substrate per day. TNS plans to develop and marke...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Arshaq Ramzee
21 de febrero de 2009
Mushrooms are very digestible vegetables. I believe there is a great scope in testing the product for animal feed.
Igwe Eddy
22 de febrero de 2009
Dear Sir, The nutritional and therapeutic benefits of mushroom demand that its cultivation should be encouraged globally. I am therefore asking for informations that will enable me to start and promote mushroom farming in Nigeria which is currently unpopular. I welcome suggestions and technical assistance or parnership in this area. Nigeria has a big unexploited market potential for mushroom. Thanks. Dr Igwe Eddy
Onasis Dorh Agbozo
23 de febrero de 2022

Igwe Eddy ok sir. Am Onasis Dorh Agbozo from Ghana. I will like to assist you in starting the mushroom farm.

Teresita Baltazar
Teresita Baltazar
5 de enero de 2010
hello there! im a high school student and i made a study about converting spent mushroom substrate into animal feeds that i tested on broilers, and the results showed that the chicks didnt eat much of it. I need some opinions why is this so...thank you very much!
Jugie
8 de agosto de 2018
Teresita Baltaz hi terry, great idea, because that is highly nutritious,, first how did you prepare that feed,,remember it should be palatable in order that the pigs will eat them another is, does you consider the aspect of tenderness, it should be soft so that the pigs could easily eat them.actually i am also interested on that matter,to make feeds out of the spent substrates..maybe you could also help me..
Arch. Jerry Sales Gumpad
Arch. Jerry Sales Gumpad
15 de enero de 2010
There are many types of natural mushrooms in our beloved country Philippines which maybe possible to use as animal feed additives and for human consumptions. There are natural mushrooms which you can find growing on trees branches during rainy days, mushrooms growing on banana shrubs, mushrooms which growing besides dried bamboo fences or near rice lands, under the bamboo grass and sometimes mushrooms growing from dried waste of carabao during rainy days, some of these natural mushrooms growing during first season of rainy days and it will produces more itself especially when lightnings come at night time during rainy days period., these are free sometimes when you find them growing near the roads and pick them up or in any rural areas which owned by public. In near the fields or bamboo grass it is easily find them during rainy days starting from the month of June.. Some citizens in our country are cultivating mushrooms for people consumptions but if this is more practical for animal feed additives and more un expensive raw materials then i will require my caretaker to apply it for our small backyard piggery development. Thanks for the information i read from here and it made more interesting for me to participate. Thanks!
Arch. Jerry Sales Gumpad
Arch. Jerry Sales Gumpad
20 de enero de 2010
Mushroom Culture Introduction The culture of mushroom is gaining popularity in the Philippines. Mushroom is a delicacy and is really accepted as vegetable. Its present cultivation in this country is limited, perhaps due to insufficiency of planting materials and the limited local knowledge about its culture. Mushroom growing requires little space and time and farmers can make use of their rice straws following harvesting. Mushroom can be grown the whole year round provided a good storage of rice straw is prepared. This brochure illustrates the fundamental techniques involved in the culture of banana or rice straw type of mushroom, Volvariolla volvacoa. The vegetable and Legume Crops Section of the Bureau of Plant Industry is now producing mushroom spawn in abundance. Materials and Methods Dry rice straws and banana leaves are the most common types of bleeding materials. However, other materials like cotton wastes, jute sacks, corn stalks, water hyacinth, sugar baggasse and abaca waste materials may also be used for bedding materials. Sufficient water supply and soaking tank or any similar container are used. Plastic sheet of gauge No.6, empty cement bags and sacks are used to cover the beds. Procedures A. Gather long, clean and well dried rice straws and banana leaves, preferably those that are still standing in the field. Avoid using old and contaminated bedding materials. B. Bundle the bedding materials 6-8 inches in diameter. If rice straws are used, arrange butt ends together. a) Cut the bundle materials 1.5 to 2 ft. long. b) Soak the bundled materials in water for at least 3 hours but not more than 10 hours until enough moisture is absorbed by the materials. c) Foundation as support for the bed. d) Set the soaked-bundled materials, closely knit the together, evenly and compactly. e) Water the bed well with the urea or ammonium sulfate at rate of 1-2 tbsp. per gallon of water. Add sugar at the rate of 33 grams per gallon of water to improve the yield of mushrooms. f) Press the layer to level of surface. Stop watering when the water starts to drip off the bed. g) thumb-size prawns around the bed, four (4) inches from along the side and four (4) inches apart from each other. Never plant spawn at the middle of the bed. h) Set the second layer of straw on the top of the first layer. Put the butt ends together in two opposite direction. Water and press down. Follow the same procedure until a six-layer bed is attained. i) Cover the entire bed with plastic sheet gauges No. 6 or cement bags or sacks for seven days after which it is removed. Harvesting The growth of mushrooms on the bed come in flushes. With adequate maintenance and care, the first flush usually comes and flushes from 13 to 15 days following seeding. When a flush is on watering must be avoided. Watering is resumed when the flush is over. Harvesting is done in the following manner: 1. Harvest the whole mushroom including the stump. Don�t leave any stump in the bed as this would rot and in rotting the adjacent mushroom may be affected. 2. As much as possible care must be taken not to disturb the small buttons. 3. Mushrooms in the button stage of growth are more succulent, hence they are better preferred than the fully opened ones. 4. Harvested mushroom may be placed in trays or in kaings. Care in the Mushroom Bed 1. When the bed is made, it may be well to cover it with plastic sheet, gunny sack or any suitable materials to protect it from the drying effect of the wind and to keep it humid. 2. After the removal of the plastic sheet don�t water the bed as the bed is still wet. 3. Watering should be done only in amounts, which would keep the surface moist and its environs humid. 4. Watering may be done using a sprinkler, passing same over the bed and along the sides. Avoid soaking the bed as this condition is equally harmful to the proper development of the mushrooms as insufficient watering. 5. When the mushroom buttons start to form, water must be stopped until the flush is over. 6. Resume watering when the flush is over to coax another flush to come.
Nongyao Chantaraj
7 de junio de 2011
I had experience with 10% substitute SMS from several varities of mushroom for broiler and quail. No problem with their performance.
Jugie
8 de agosto de 2018

Which one is correct spent substrates or substrate mushroom spent?

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister