Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Dairy Crossbreeding Research: Results from Current Projects

Published: July 8, 2008
Summary
Many dairy producers practice some crossbreeding, and the numbers increase every year. Motivating factors include a desire to improve fertility, survival, milk components, and calving ease. Some producers want cows smaller than mature Holsteins. Several large, long-term dairy crossbreeding experiments have been conducted in the United States in the past. Cows involved in previous projects were not...
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Jenny Trigwell
8 de julio de 2008

Data on life time production /net merit should be very interesting. From personal experience I am tipping that the Holstein x European breeds will last in the herd a whole lot longer than pure Holsteins. It can take two lactations for Brown Swiss/Holstein cross breds to add significant volume to their higher componenet milk. The mature cows really milk on across the whole lactation, and do so for many years with lower somatic cell counts, calving, fertility and metabolic problems.

Recommend
Arun
Arun
18 de julio de 2008

The advantages of cross breeding has been well shown and good support of statistics, more over I have experienced a good result in feeding the cows with Drumstick tree leaves and Agathi leaves (sorry I don't know the botanical names) once every week for an efficient conceiving rate among the cows milk. The above mentioned trees botanical names shall be derived from any of the agri universities of Tamilnadu, INDIA.

Recommend
Miguel Jordan
22 de julio de 2008
Le pregunto al Sr. Cassell: ¿ Cuál es el criterio para los siguientes cruces generacionales? ¿Se está buscando acaso una nueva raza lechera? Saludos, Miguel
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.