Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Cultured yeast gives yields a rise

Published: October 30, 2007
Summary
There's a lot of untapped potential in cows after years of keeping a lid on production costs, reckons Lancashire dairy farmer David Talbot. He's now using a cultured yeast feed supplement developed in the USA which has lifted daily cow yields by 1.2kg for a cost of about 8.5p a day. Yeast products are not a new concept, but Lactaid - the yeast being used in Mr Talbot's 180-cow herd at Lower Alsto...
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Mike Watkins
Mike Watkins
1 de noviembre de 2007
I agree that yeast cultures are beneficial, but other yeast products are not as fragile as portrayed. It is very difficult to say one product is really better than another because I have yet to see one that didn't do something in the rumen and effect performance in milking cows. I'm curious as to why the product was not mentioned. I can name at least three products that fit into this category, but even then there are some differences. This highlights yeast products but does not differentiate them to any real degree.
Recommend
Ramesh. A
Ramesh. A
2 de noviembre de 2007
The stability of the live yeast in the rumen depends on which species it belongs to. There is no mention of the species of the yeast which was under this study. There are few products with live yeast which have shown good benifits in the rumen, which means they can survive in the rumen and provide metabolites to rumen microbes.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.