Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Equine Health: Skull Fractures in Horses

Published: January 25, 2008
Summary
Horses often are victims of accidental injury. Their gregarious nature, social hierarchy, heightened flight response, and handling and confinement by humans puts them at increased risk of trauma. A fairly common and usually catastrophic injury of horses is trauma to the head resulting in fracture of the skull. The head of a typical adult horse weighs in excess of 40 pounds. This, coupled with the...
Related topics:
Recommend
Comment
Janelle Kapp
7 de abril de 2019
My horse fractured his skull on January 11,2019. He developed a lump of his head that day and within days he developed two more lumps. The first and biggest lump formed on the front of his face about halfway down. It is located roughly about one inch below and to the right of his left eye. The other two lumps followed the "frontonasal suture." He had his fracture confirmed by the veterinarian. He was put on Equioxx once a day and not to be work for 10 weeks. His eyes keep draining and the pressure seems to be immense some days. We are now out of Equioxx and I'm not sure exactly what to do as I called with an update of new swelling that extends from the first lump down and below his left eye. I know this is hurting him and the vet says there's nothing they can do, but wait and allow time to heal him. Can anyone give me advice on what might help him? He's been off work since it happened in January. I've been turning him out as I normally do to keep him calm. I'm starting to wonder if keeping him out 24/7 might help even more? I'm not sure. The beads of water and that form around his eyes and swelling under his left eye are concerning me a lot. My thought is to get a second opinion. Please help!! What can I do for him???
Recommend
HorsesBuy
2 de agosto de 2023
How to Treat Gastric Ulcers in Horses Gastric ulcers in horses are common and can be caused by factors such as diet, stress, and medications. Omeprazole is an effective medication for treating gastric ulcers in horses by inhibiting excess acid production. Treatment duration depends on the severity of the ulcers. If you notice signs like poor appetite, colic, or decreased performance, consult a veterinarian for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Recommend
HorsesBuy
8 de agosto de 2023
https://horsesbuy.com/
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.