Unwrapping the Mysteries of Modern Poultry Meat Production
The 2013 University of Georgia International Poultry Short Course will be held February 1 – 5, 2013 at the UGA Poultry Research Center (PRC), South Milledge Avenue, Athens, United States.
The purpose of this short course is to provide a unique intensive educational experience comprised of the latest and most pertinent topics associated with modern poultry production. The course is designed to benefit anyone working in today’s poultry industry whether you are just becoming acquainted with the poultry industry or have been working in the industry for years.
Topics span from genetics/breeding to processing/food safety and cover essentially all the important areas in between. This year’s program will focus on the many challenges in producing/processing the modern broiler chicken. The faculty who teach these topics are internationally recognized with decades of “real world” experience and considered to be among the best in the world in their respective fields. The UGA International Poultry Short Course is designed and formatted to be interactive and hands-on. The 3 ½ day training is packed full of information that can be directly applied to making a difference to the bottom line of your poultry business.
- Poultry Science at The University of Georgia
- A brief history of poultry domestication
- U.S. poultry industry structure and economics
- Fundamentals of animal genetics
- Basics of poultry nutrition
- Ingredients in poultry diets
- Broiler breeder management
- Basics of incubation, hatchery management
- Broiler facilities and hot weather management
- Cold weather ventilation
- Foot pad dermatitis
- Insects and ectoparasites in poultry
- Management of poultry mortality
- Live production environmental management
- Introduction to poultry processing
- Microbial interventions in processing plants
- Processing food safety and HACCP
- Environmental impacts of processing
- Poultry parasitology
- Biosecurity and vaccination programs
- Egg layer production and management
- Pastured poultry
- Energy Use and Conservation
- Animal Welfare
To register go to http://www.poultry.uga.edu/extension/InternationalShortCourse.htm and click on “Registration.”
Your course registration fee of $795 covers course notebook and other materials; continental breakfasts, lunches, dinners and breaks.
Accommodation for the International Poultry Short Course is available a The Georgia Center, The University of Georgia's Conference Center and Hotel, located on the University of Georgia Campus. The world class hotel amenities at the Georgia Center include:
- 200 rooms and luxury suites
- Four on-site dining options
- Free shuttle around campus
- Free wireless internet
- Microwaves, refrigerators, safes
- Full size irons and ironing boards
- On-site fitness center
- 23" Flat-screen TVs
We look forward to having you spend a few days in Athens, GA. There are two ways to get to Athens from Altanta; rental car or the Groome Transportation shuttle service. Reservations can be made for the shuttle using the link below. Groome makes 18 round trips between Atlanta and Athens each day. They only pick up at the Atlanta airport, so you would have to travel back to the airport and catch a ride on the shuttle from there. Their website is http://www.groometransportation.com/athens.html or they can contacted at (800) 896-9928 or (706) 410-2363
Registration is Now Available for the 2013 Georgia International Poultry Short Course.
Regular registration ends December 22nd, 2012.
Late registration after January 18th, 2013 will incur an additional fee.