Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Tryptophan requirement of 22 to 34-week-old caged-laying hens

Published: February 21, 2020
Mike Persia (Virginia Tech) presented his research on the estimation of this amino acid in poultry diets, during IPPE 2020 in Atlanta, USA.
Related topics
Authors:
Mike Persia
Virginia Tech
Recommend
Comment
Juarez Donzele
Universidade Federal de Viçosa - UFV
21 de febrero de 2020
Dr Mike, for a better understanding of the work, I would like to ask you to kindly inform us what was the relationship between methionine + digestible cystine with the digestible lysine used in your diet to assess the level of tryptophan. With my thanks
Recommend
Mike Persia
Virginia Tech
25 de febrero de 2020

Juarez Donzele,

Great question, this experiment was a classical requirement experiment so both D Lys and D SAA were supplied in excess of the hens requirements so that Trp would be the limiting nutrient for egg production.

Mike.

Recommend
Juarez Donzele
25 de febrero de 2020

Dr. Mike, I appreciate your prompt reply. In this case, the tryptophan requirement must be established in grams/day, making no reference to its relationship with lysine. Do I think correctly?

Recommend
Mike Persia
Virginia Tech
26 de febrero de 2020
Juarez Donzele Yes that is correct.
Recommend
Juarez Donzele
25 de febrero de 2020
Dr Mike, I forgot to point out that due to carelessness, I am absolutely sure, the use of the isomer D of lysine in the feed of the birds was mentioned, which certainly did not occur. This is because, as you know, lysine in this isomer is not used by birds. Even methionine, I believe it must have been used as a mixture of D and L (DL) isomers. Carelessness like this happens quite often.
Recommend
Dr. Andreas Lemme
Evonik Animal Nutrition
26 de febrero de 2020

Dear Juarez Donzele, I have to admit that I haven't followed the entire discussion herein but noticed the statements on D-isomers of amino acids. Indeed, the nutritional value of D-Lys (and others) is very limited in farm animals and therefore all supplemental amino acids - except methionine - are available as L-isomer only. Methionine indeed behaves different and as the D-isomer of methionine is highly, if not completely, available as building block to farm animals, the racemate of D- and L-methionine has become the gold standard in animal nutrition. Moreover, even if given as D-methionine only, transformation into animal performance is as effective as with L-Met. BR Andreas

Recommend
Mike Persia
Virginia Tech
26 de febrero de 2020
Dr. Andreas Lemme In this case D is my short hand for digestible Lys or digestible Met, not the l or d form of the amino acid. Sorry for the confusion. Best regards, Mike
Recommend
Nelson Ruíz
Nelson Ruíz Nutrition LLC
1 de septiembre de 2020

Dr. Andreas Lemme Dr. Lemme, would you please help me with the literature reference(s) supporting the concept that D-methionine has similar biological activity as DL-methionine, and perhaps as L-methionine? It would be highly appreciated.

Recommend
Mehran Mehri
10 de agosto de 2023
Dr. Andreas Lemme Dear Dr. Lemme, regarding CI of the RBV for DL-Met and other alternatives to this supplement and no statistical differences between DL-Met and other Met resources, how can we justify that DL-Met is a better source of Met for poultry? Sincerely.
Recommend
Juarez Donzele
26 de febrero de 2020
To Drs Andreas and Mike, for the experience and professional competence of the authors, I have no doubt that the restrictions we made on the article are fully known to you. What really happened was a carelessness in the preparation of the matter, which can occur with any .
Recommend
Dr Valeriy Kryukov
15 de abril de 2020
Dr. Andreas Lemme Indeed, DL-Methionine has received a wide and recognized distribution. However, the fate of the D isomer is not well understood. I established 30 years ago in an experiment on broilers that DL-Methionine induces cytochrome P-450, which is responsible for the metabolism of foreign compounds in the body. This fact explains the decrease in the toxic effect of aflatoxin on chickens. In General, DL-methionine will "unexpectedly" affect a number of processes in the body for those who do not know about the induction of cytochrome P-450. The effectiveness of drugs, cholecalciferol and a number of other additives in feed.
Recommend
OGUNWOLE, OLUGBENGA
17 de abril de 2020
Dr Valeriy Kryukov This is a profound contribution which served to reverberate the cardinal roles of methionine in detoxification of toxins in vivo. I only want to add that the sentence be modified to indicate that cytochrome P-450 is one of the veritable means of such metabolism of foreign compounds except perhaps there are no alternative metabolic paths. This contribution is an apt contribution and an impetus to upcoming scientist with interest in methionine metabolism
Recommend
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenkov
Kronos -Agro private company
21 de abril de 2020
Dr.OGUNWOLE, OLUGBENGA Yes, it is, but there is another explanation. Methionine is not direct detoxicant. But (similar to betaine) it plays important function in liver methylation cycle and protect liver cells against osmotic stress. Thus, it protect liver hepatocytes and makes better methabolic condition for hepatocytes cytochrome-P 450. So, direct detoxication enzyme is P-450 oxidase, and direct anti toxin molecule is oxygen.
Recommend
Rose Whelan
Evonik Animal Nutrition
29 de marzo de 2021
Dr Valeriy Kryukov this is indeed a very interesting finding! My understandign was that the sulfur amino acids could support xenobiotic detoxification through the glutathione and the glutathione-S-transferase system. However, this is downstream of cytochrome P450 so I was not aware that dietary methionine affected this earlier step. Could you please share a citation for your paper, I would love to read it. Many thanks for this interesting discussion!
Recommend
Mehran Mehri
10 de agosto de 2023
Dr Valeriy Kryukov I have conducted an experiment to survey the detoxification effect of Met in quails fed AFB1. I would appreciate it if you send me of your valuable work on Met and cytochrome p-450 to my email address: mehriuoz@gmail.com
Recommend
Mehran Mehri
11 de agosto de 2023
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenkov Could you please share the reference(s)?
Recommend
Juarez Donzele
22 de abril de 2020
Valeriy Kryukov, interesting and important for your information regarding the specific action of D-Methionine in the induction of cytochrome P450. In this case, in regions with a high incidence of mycotoxin in the feed ingredients, especially corn, the efficiency of the use of DL-Methionine by birds should not be greater than that of L-Methionine. This considering, farms with low level of health challenge, with limited use of drugs. Is this reasoning correct?
Recommend
Dr Valeriy Kryukov
22 de abril de 2020
Just the opposite! DL, methionine induces P-450. As a result, Cytochore p-450 increases the detoxification of mycotoxins
Recommend
Juarez Donzele
18 de julio de 2020
Dr Valeriy Kryukov, I believe that I was not understood, because what I deduced was exactly what the Lord stated as correct, However, your consideration is that my deduction would not be correct
Recommend
Amin Nahla
Zagazig University
4 de julio de 2022
if my diet corn soya diet content requirement of tryptophan enough can add tryptophan to diet to increase production
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.