Atlanta, Georgia, United States

The role of creatine in animal nutrition – Creamino®, energy for healthy growth

Video information
See more
remove_red_eye 2947 forum 43 bar_chart Statistics share
Share :
close
November 9, 2020

I am interested to discuss about the role of creatine in animal nutrition. I would also to know about its incorporation into the animal feed and the source of getting it.

Mohammed Mouhafid Mohammed Mouhafid
Regional technical manager MEA
AlzChem AlzChem
Trostberg, Traunstein, Germany
November 12, 2020
Muabecho idrisu Thank you for showing interest in Creamino, and I will be pleased to discuss the topic with.
Please reach me email.
mohammed.mouhafid@extern.alzchem.com
February 10, 2021
Creatine is not a source of cellular energy but rather helps to store energy as phosphocreatine in animal tissues, particularly the brain and skeletal muscle. Please see Wu, G. 2018. Principles of Animal Nutrition. CRC Press.
June 26, 2021
Muabecho idrisu Hi please email me with your personal and corporate details and you location and I’ll send you some information. norm@normboyleconsulting.com.au
November 12, 2020
Robert Alber, taking advantage of his knowledge on the subject, for the sake of clarification I would like to make some considerations about the use of creatine in pig nutrition; FIRST; knowing that pigs have the ability to synthesize creatine from some percussive amino acids, including arginine and methionine, and that their greatest reserve is in skeletal muscle. Having adequate levels of these amino acids in the feed would not be sufficient to optimize the concentration of muscle creatine; SECOND; knowing that products of animal origin contain creatine, even in animals receiving rations with any of these products creatine supplementation is recommended. THIRD; knowing that an important result of the increase in the concentration of muscle creatine would be the increase in the accumulation of water, this property of creatine could not pass the false idea of muscle hypertrophy.
AlzChem AlzChem
November 12, 2020
Juarez Donzele , Thank you very much for your comments and I have added more details. 1) Having adequate levels of arginine and glycine in the diet is important in endogenous synthesis of creatine, however, the AGAT pathway acts as a gatekeeper or regulator of endogenous synthesis. Creamino bypasses the AGAT pathway and allows for an increase in muscle creatine levels of 25-30% over what can be achieved with endogenous synthesis regardless of arginine levels in the diet. 2) While animal proteins are an excellent source of creatine, the problem with relying on them as a creatine source is in processing. Creatine is destroyed by heat and moisture so much of the naturally occurring creatine in animal proteins is lost during processing. 3) Increased accumulation of water in muscle is directly related to inclusion rate in the diet and is most often seen in performance athletes if they undergo a "loading phase" and take 25-30 grams of creatine daily for 5-7 days. With typical dosage rates (3-5 g/day for humans and 0.06-0.08% of the diet for animals) this water accumulation or bloating is rarely seen.

Again, thank you for your comments!
December 13, 2020
David Nelson Sir it is quite interesting of using creatin in the broiler feed. Till now we have seen this being used by athletes for heavy muscle building ..But already there is heavy protein diet is being given and would broiler be able to digest it or will be able to give more fruitful result ....Well I am happy knowing that it is another research for poultry future...
AlzChem AlzChem
December 14, 2020
Daya Shanker Kushwaha Thank you for your comment. Keep in mind Creamino is a source of cellular energy and not protein even though it does have an arginine sparing effect. Energy is required for muscle cells to function properly but it is also required to assimilate protein into muscle. As long as protein and amino acid levels are adequate in the diet, you will see benefits from Creamino. It is not necessary to increase dietary protein levels to see a response from Creamino.
February 10, 2021
Please note that, in addition to arginine and glycine, methionine is also essential for creatine synthesis via inter-organ cooperation in animals. Please see Wu, G. 2013. Amino Acids: Biochemistry and Nutrition. CRC Press.
February 10, 2021
Neither animal protein nor plant protein contains creatine. However, some animal-sourced feedstuffs, such as meat meal and meat & bone meal, provide a relatively large amount of creatine plus phosphocreatine for livestock, poultry, fish and crustaceans.
Robert Alber Robert Alber
Vice President Animal Nutrition
AlzChem AlzChem
February 11, 2021
This is true, but there are two problems:
1) the levels of creatine in animal based feedstuff vary a lot and are by no means reliable => you never know what you get
2) creatine decomposes at temperatures above 60°C, so even if creatine is present in theses sources, it will be destroyed in feed production.
This is why we invented (and patented) GAA as alternative. GAA is heat and moisture stable. The only metabolic fate of GAA is creatine. Therefore it is the perfect source of creatine for animal nutrition.
We have generated a lot of data for creatine in various feedstuffs. If you are interested, we are happy to discuss it with you.
br Robert
John Thomson John Thomson
Sales Director
AlzChem AlzChem
February 11, 2021
Guoyao Wu The precursors of creatine were established by 1941. The regulation of creatine synthesis has a more recent history. The AGAT enzyme (aka GATM) which catalyzes the transfer of the amidino group from Arginine to Glycine is the regulatory target. Creatine suppresses AGAT synthesis. The kidney is the classical location of GAA synthesis though synthesis can occur in other tissues and the distribution of AGAT activity is somewhat species specific. GAA travels via the blood to the liver where it is methylated. The methyl group comes directly from S-adenosyl methionine which, of course, is derived from methionine. I have seen a suggestion that this methylation step may be regulated but I am not aware of direct evidence.
Sales Director
AlzChem AlzChem
February 11, 2021
Guoyao Wu It is true that creatine is not part of the primary structure protein. I don't think the intent was to suggest otherwise. However, in common discussions, people often say "protein" when they actually mean tissues with a high protein content such as muscle. When we speak of animal or plant protein products, we generally understand that this is not purified protein, but a high protein product derived from natural tissues.
Also, while it is true that animal protein products are POTENTIALLY good sources of creatine, reality shows that ACTUAL creatine content is highly variable and is often completely degraded to creatinine. The conversion of creatine to creatinine is largely spontaneous and in promoted by high temperature and low pH.
February 12, 2021
John Thomson In the open forums of Engormix (international), I suggest that we all use scientifically correct terms for discussions on animal nutrition to avoid any misunderstanding. Protein is part of an animal tissue but animal protein is not an animal tissue. An animal tissue can contain physiologically important non-protein functional substances, such as creatine, taurine, glutathione, and polyamines, that are crucial for animal growth and health.
November 12, 2020
Dr David Nelson, I am grateful for the information provided that was sufficient to clarify the differentiated action of the commercial product in focus
Martin Smith Martin Smith
Animal Nutritionist
Evonik Animal Nutrition Evonik Animal Nutrition
Rellinghauser, Hessen, Germany
November 13, 2020

Dear Prof. Donzele. Please be aware that creatine content of all forms of animal byproducts is EXTREMELY variable; C of V for fish meal approaches 100%. Whilst we do indeed need to progress to a situation where we define an actual creatine requirement for all classes of vertebrate livestock, reliance on animal byproducts should account for this extreme variability. MPS

November 13, 2020
Dr David and Dr Martin, I think that the clarifications provided by the researchers were important for supporting the differentiated action of the product in question, in addition to referring to the limitations of animal by-products as a good source of creatine. An additional question is whether supplementation with precursor or even creatine could save, increasing the metabolic availability of the three (3) amino acids involved in its endogenous synthesis. I thank you for your understanding of the highlighted points.
November 15, 2020

Dr David and Dr Martin, complementing the previous considerations, if the hypothesis of saving some amino acids (arginine, methionine and glycine) is true, in addition to enabling a line of research to evaluate supplementation of the product CREAMINO, in diets with suboptimal levels of those three (3) amino acids. And that the positive effect of the product goes beyond that of increasing the endogenous synthesis of creatine.

Ali Afsar Ali Afsar
Senior Technical Service Manager Nutrition & Care
November 15, 2020

Dear Prof. Juarez Donzele,

Regarding Guanidine Acetic Acid (GAA),

Formation each mole of GAA consumes a mol of Arg and a mol of Gly. Then supplementation diet with GAA can save some Arg and Gly but any way GAA needs to be methylated by a methyl donor like Met to form Creatine, therefore supplementation diet with GAA may not help suboptimal diet with SAA.

November 15, 2020
Dr Ali Afsar, understood the fact that CREAMINO does not save sulfur amino acid. However, based on some information, such as that of MAUGHANMM, 2000, who reports the possibility of creatine supplementation suppressing endogenous creatine synthesis. In this case, arginine and glycine would be as you said, spared by increasing their endogenous availability. Considering the countless metabolic possibilities of the various compounds derived from arginine, especially those involved in protein synthesis, as well as those related to the animal's immune system, added to the effect of reducing the inflammatory response by the action of glycine, we understand that the effect of CREAMINO passes also by increasing the metabolic availability of arginine and glycine. In this way it can be deduced that the positive effect of CREAMINO goes beyond just creatine synthesis.
Ali Afsar Ali Afsar
Senior Technical Service Manager Nutrition & Care
November 15, 2020

Juarez Donzele

Many thanks indeed for inputs and explanations.

tartarini cesare tartarini cesare
Agricultural science specialization in animal nutrition
December 3, 2020
Thank you dott. Albert. I have two question. 1) what is the optimal dose for piglets from 7-30 kg? Have you experience use on the lactation sow? 2) have you a distributor in Italy? Thank you in advance.

Cesare Tartarini
AlzChem AlzChem
December 3, 2020
Dear dott. Tartarini,

thank you very much for getting in contact with us. Generally we recommand an inclusion rate of 0.12% for swine applications in general. However, it always makes sense to look on the specific sitatuation.
Swine is a relatively newly registered additional application for Creamino. We have good reasons for and first indications of benefits in lactating sows, such as reduction of stillborn piglets, better birth weights, better resiliance of the sow itself to birth stress and so on. We are currently in the process of broadening the statistical basis of sow and swine applications and are open and interested in joint approaches.
Regarding our distribution situation in Italy I have sent you on email to your contact data, so that we can explore possibilities directly.

grazie e cordiali saluti
Robert Alber
tartarini cesare tartarini cesare
Agricultural science specialization in animal nutrition
December 3, 2020

Thank you Dott.Albert.

muhd muhd
Student
December 12, 2020
Very effective.
AHMED ALKAFRAWY AHMED ALKAFRAWY
Marketing Manager
December 14, 2020
YES
January 17, 2021

Here in Nigeria, there are a lot of challenges we are facing in getting quality feeds for livestock due to high cost of energy and protein concentrates which is not commensurable with what client could afford when you consider selling product to make profit.
I believe creamino to be the smart way to really reduce cost of production and help farmers to get a reasonable profit vis a vis making meat and livestock products affordable by the consumer.
Like to ask if when adding creamino in feed formulation, what level are we to reduce the protein ( amino acid) and metabolizable energy of the diet?
For example we all know 3000 to 3200kcal/kg is d ME for broilers, should I reduce to like 2850 when introducing creamino?
Wish to get your product here in Nigeria perhaps if you have a distributor already as I intend to recommend the start of a feed manufacturing section in my place of work

Felix Klose Felix Klose
Sales Manager
AlzChem AlzChem
January 18, 2021
tosin olonijolu Dear Mr. Olonijolu,

Creamino is direct energy for the (muscle) cells and it is available in Nigeria. Creamino can be used to either increase performance (e.g. higher breast meat yield, higher BWG) or to reduce feed costs. To find the most beneficial approach we have to look at the current feed formulation and calculate how much energy can be substituted with Creamino in the feed. Please contact me directly: felix.klose@alzchem.com

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards

Felix Klose
January 18, 2021
Felix Klose ok sir
February 13, 2021
please have sent mails to you and to the link you sent to me as regards the formulation but yet to get any response. kindly go through your mails to trace back and help in reaching the other contact person for me on how far with the response on how to incorporate creamino in my formulation sir.
thanks
Fausto Solis Fausto Solis
Nutrition Services Manager
January 19, 2021
Dear all,

We run a couple of trials with Creamino and the effects were very consistent in non-animal protein diets; we got 4 point feed conversion improvement in those diets. I spoke with some nutritionists and they believe this is due to the L-Arginine contribution

Thank you

Fausto
AlzChem AlzChem
January 20, 2021
Fausto Solis Hi Fausto, Thank you for your comments. While Creamino does have an arginine sparing effect, we see a similar response in diets that have more than adequate arginine levels. Creamino supplementation will increase muscle creatine content by 20-30% and this boost in energy at the cellular level undoubtedly has a role in the improved performance noted.
January 19, 2021

The consideration made by Dr. Fausto, associating the effect of CREAMINO, in part, related to the amino acid arginine, is consistent with the proposition I made in my opinion.

AlzChem AlzChem
January 20, 2021
Juarez Donzele There is definitely a relationship with arginine but that is only part of the equation.
March 1, 2021
Dear Sir
Are you suggest any matrix value as energy or A.A for poultry feed with creamino
Sales Director
AlzChem AlzChem
March 1, 2021

Bayram Koc, Research findings suggest that Creamino can spare between 50 and 100 kcal/kg in finished broiler feed when dosed at a rate of 0.06%. If you convert this into a matrix value, this represents a range of about 83,000 to 166,000 kcal/kg of Creamino.
Trial results have suggested an wide range of values for Arg sparing. In de novo synthesis, 1 mole of Gly combines with 1 mole of Arg to produce 1 mole of GAA. We can convert this to a weight basis by using the molecular mass. A mole of Arg is about 174 g. A mole of GAA is about 117 g. This suggests an Arg sparing effect of 174/117 or about 149% which is in the range of observed experimental values.

Koot van der Walt Koot van der Walt
Marketing Director
March 29, 2021
Hi There
My name is Koot van der Walt from Heidelberg Gauteng South Africa
Where can one purchase this product in South Africa?
AlzChem AlzChem
March 29, 2021

Dear Koot
Thanks for contacting us. Our partner in South Africa is Philagro. They will contact you right away
Best regards,
Robert.

Yeshambel Mekuriaw Yeshambel Mekuriaw
PhD in animal nutrition
March 31, 2021
Is there any source in Ethiopia?
Felix Klose Felix Klose
Sales Manager
AlzChem AlzChem
March 31, 2021
Dear Yeshambel Mekuriaw,

Many thanks for reaching out to us. Sure, we can make it possible to receive Creamino in Ethiopia. I sent you a private message.

Best regards
Felix
April 8, 2021
The results of our experiment on broilers breeder Rooster flock showed. Using 1600 mg can reduce and delay the occurrence of signs of ageing of the roosters, which improves fertility in broiler breeder flock.
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Products
Creamino® is the basis for Creatine, which is the “battery pack&r...