Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

The Euclidian Pathway to more Instructive Broiler Bioassays: Nutritional Geometry

Published: February 24, 2016
Summary
1. Factorially designed  experiments versus response surface methodology. A conventional experimental approach investigates the effects of one independent variable while keeping all other variables constant. This approach faces two challenges (i) it is only valid when the underlying principles linking cause and effect are known with some certainty; (ii) variables may interact wi...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr Sonia Yun Liu
The University of Sydney
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Dr. Juliano Cesar De Paula Dorigam
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Swamy Haladi
Trouw Nutrition
1 de marzo de 2016

Thank you Sonia for this complex yet important topic. Are there any commercial statistical tools such as SAS to analyse such data?

Dr Sonia Yun Liu
The University of Sydney
13 de marzo de 2016
Hi Swamy, thank you for your question and sorry for this late response. Most commercial programs can design and analysis response surface design. I am using R because it is free of charge and relatively more flexible to use than other packages. It is hard for beginners but it is such a valuable skill as both R and Python are booming in data science.
Paul B. Tillman, Ph.D.
14 de marzo de 2016
Excel can be used to define equation parameters from response surface results and can also generate the data table needed to generate graphs. Excel can also do an excellent job of generating these 3D graphs as well. While not as powerful as R, JMP or SAS, in statistical analysis, it can play a role in helping to visualize response surface results.
Dr. Phan Quang Vinh
15 de marzo de 2016
" Would broiler bioassays be more instructive using nutritional geometry ? " If I have to answer this question, my reply is "maybe". From many studies initially using single factor experiments, we realize that there are interactions among single factors . Designs for factorial experiments were made to address this interaction problems. Thereon, we know about inverse relations, augmentative and synergistic relations among factors. Complications arise when we want to put so may eggs in one basket, that is, to study more that 4 factors in a factorial experiment. Principal component analysis (PCA) or Response Surface Analysis (RSA) can assist us to visualize the complex interactions among studied factors, but not necessarily the underlying mechanisms involved. The introduction of " Nutritional Geometry" will certainly be as useful as PCA or RSA but it cannot replace basic studies to understand the mechanisms of interactions which are still badly needed thru carefully planned factorial experiments using 2-4 factors at a time. Such inputs will definitely shed lights on what we visualize from findings with new approach
Dr Sonia Yun Liu
The University of Sydney
15 de marzo de 2016
Hi Dr Vinh, thnak you for your comment. Full factorial design is definitely an important tool along with other statistical method we can use. if we read a classic Response Surface Methodology book, it often suggests that the first step to test an hypothesis is factorial design. this helps us to answer yes or no question. to identify the influential factors for a dependent response. Then, RSM can be used in the next step for optimization. the adoption of design really depends on the purpose of the experiment and the outcomes of previous literature. However, I do not agree RSM cannot explain the underlying mechanism. One example to address this point is, Solon-Biet, et al, 2014. The Ratio of Macronutrients, Not Caloric Intake, Dictates Cardiometabolic Health, Aging, and Longevity in Ad Libitum-Fed Mice. Cell Metabolism 19, 418-430. This work has been sited 75 time according to web of science in just two years.
Dr. Phan Quang Vinh
15 de marzo de 2016
Hi Dr. Liu, I appreciate very much for your prompt response. What I mean is that we already figure out the underlying mechanism(s) thru smaller factorial experiments ( whether we use RSA or not in these experiment). Later on, when we design larger experiments, such prior information becomes handy, e.g. setting the spaces/levels and the ranges for individual factors,assisting us in interpreting results of RSA , finding saddle points, explaining the contours of surface. If we did not use orthogonal comparisons, regression analysis in smaller factorial experiments and go directly to RSA , then You and I have no disagreement on the issue about RSA can or cannot use to study underlying mechanisms among factors involved. Congratulation for your good work.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister