Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Technologies to control coccidiosis

Published: September 19, 2018
Elise Myers (MSD) spoke on the evolution of vaccines and tolerance of anticoccidials, among other topics, during the 1st PoultryUniverse Coccidiosis Congress in Curitiba, Brazil.
Related topics
Authors:
Elise Myers
MSD Perú
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Amine Mernizi
Hipra
20 de noviembre de 2018
Good day, I have a question about your slide mentioning vaccines and technologies. Don't you think that there was some efforts, regardless commercialization, to improve coccidiosis prevention in broilers, either by using specific devices to improve the vaccination process or to add underestimated strains, such as mitis or praecox? Also, can you give us more details when you mentioned that there is no big difference between attenuated and non-attenuated, what is then the benefit from each technology, and most important why then a so important gap price (which can be up to x5 times for attenuated bigger than non-attenuated) Greetings
Elise Myers
MSD Perú
20 de noviembre de 2018
Thank you for your question. My comment was meant to highlight the fact that these are all live coccidiosis vaccines that work through a similar process of initial infection, followed by subsequent reinfection until immunity is developed in the host. Many companies have made changes to how their live coccidiosis vaccine is applied (through new equipment or application methods) or formulated (through strain attenuation, the inclusion of new strains, or the alteration of oocyst counts etc.) however, the product itself remains at its core a live coccidiosis vaccine. The purpose of the talk was to stimulate discussion in the panel and audience about new ideas in the space that were not based on traditional coccidiosis vaccine technologies as we know them today. As this lecture did not have at its core the goal of discussing the pros and cons of attenuated vs non-attenuated products, I did not describe this at length, but would be happy to have a discussion offline to answer any questions that you may have. Thanks again for reaching out-
Amine Mernizi
Hipra
21 de noviembre de 2018

Thank you for the clarification, probably there was a misunderstanding since from what I know, there were some efforts from a company to develop a killed vaccine, which was by the way included in the list you mentioned.

The results also you shared regarding anticoccidials effectiveness are very meaningful.

Kind regards.

Elise Myers
MSD Perú
21 de noviembre de 2018
That’s correct, I mention the inactivated vaccine in my talk, I refer to it as a subunit. Cheers
Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
28 de noviembre de 2018
Elise Myers my opinion the subunit killed vaccine may not work for coccidiosis
Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
27 de noviembre de 2018

Thanks for your idea for the hybrid program.
Is it possible to make a hybrid program by using herb instead of coccidiostat with the vaccine for Antibiotics free chicken?

Miguel A Pérez
AdiNature
27 de noviembre de 2018

Dear Kasame Trakullerswilai,

Since while ago we had proposed propose maslinic acid, found in the leaves and fruit of the olive tree (Olea europaea L.), as a new natural coccidiostatic product against Eimeria tenella. Its action in infected animals has been compared with animals treated with sodium salinomycin. The lesion index (LS), the oocyst index (OI) and the anticoccidial index (ACI) were studied with regard to the weight of the chicks. The ACI for maslinic acid was 210.27 and for sodium salinomycin 173.09. Similarly, both LS and OI decreased in the groups treated with maslinic acid. A considerable increase in weight was found in the chicks treated with maslinic acid compared with those in the control group. Histopathological studies of the caecum at 120 h post-infection showed that the infection rate decreased significantly in chicks treated with maslinic acid.

If you request more information, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,
Miguel.
www.adinature.com

Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
28 de noviembre de 2018

Miguel A Pérez,

Thanks for your suggestion.
What happens for acervulina and maxima? 
And is there any interfering effect if using coccidia vaccine?

Miguel A Pérez
AdiNature
28 de noviembre de 2018

Kasame Trakullerswilai

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, we don't have any study done about Eimeria acervulina (upper half of the small intestine), and E. maxima (lower half of the small intestine).

It does not have any effect against coccidia vaccine. In my humble opinion, I will say the maslinic acid potentiates the vaccine.

If you want to make some trial at your facilities in Thailand, happy to continue our talk by email.

Best Regards,
Miguel.

Miguel A Pérez
AdiNature
29 de noviembre de 2018
Dear Kasame Trakullerswilai I had discussed internally your question with our technical department and they told me that E. Acervulina and E. Maxima belongs to Phylum Apicomplexa therefore our Maslinic Acid should work as coccidiostatic againts them. We have trials comparing our product against salinomycin and monensin. Best Regards, Miguel. If you are interested I can share the results. Best Regards, Miguel.
Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
7 de diciembre de 2018
Miguel A Pérez thanks for your reply
Pavel Melnikov
MVService
21 de agosto de 2019
Miguel A Pérez And what did OPG monitoring show?
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister