Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix
Evonik Animal Nutrition
Content sponsored by:
Evonik Animal Nutrition

A Suggested Blueprint for Coping with AGP Removal

Published: December 14, 2020
Summary
Background Antibiotic Growth Promotors (AGPs) are a group of feed additives widely used to improve animal health and performance. Mode of action is actually still an area of debate, but it is clear we have moved away from a simple model of reduction of pathogens / reduction of microbiota competition with the host animal to one where reduction of inflammation and modulation of immune res...
Related topics:
Authors:
Martin Smith
Evonik Animal Nutrition
Recommend
Comment
Hossam Munir Khereba
16 de diciembre de 2020

I think also improving the litter quality is playing an important role with AGP removal.

Recommend
Martin Smith
Evonik Animal Nutrition
17 de diciembre de 2020
Hossam Munir Khereba Thanks for your comment Mr. Khereba. I agree that litter quality is important. However I see litter quality as a consequence of activities we do as poultry managers, rather than a solution in itself. Indeed, Litter quality is actually an excellent indicator that things are good...or not so good!
Recommend
Mangalmurti Pathak
17 de diciembre de 2020
Effective water management,optimisation of feed quality using diffrent non antibiotic feed additives, litter management and biosecurity are the key factors to improve gut immunity and gut related problems.
Recommend
Martin Smith
Evonik Animal Nutrition
17 de diciembre de 2020
Mangalmurti Pathak Thanks for your comment Mr. Pathak. I think generally we agree on these areas!
Recommend
Luis Fernando Vergamini Luna
Opta Alimentos e Insumos
21 de diciembre de 2020

My suggestion is screening the particular microbiota of each production complex and correlate higher and lower performance with the patterns.
Doing it with feaces could help to understand why the microorganisms are there.
Feaces is part of our production and we do not go deep in understanding the most inoculation power in the whole system.

Recommend
Martin Smith
Evonik Animal Nutrition
22 de diciembre de 2020

Luis Fernando Vergamini Luna. Thank you for the comment. I think in future this might be a reality. Currently, though, our understanding of microbiota dynamics is still poor; and in fact we know that it varies considerably even between individual birds in the same house. We therefore are forced into broad management decisions and strategies, like the ones I presented. MPS

Recommend
Frederic Paris
30 de diciembre de 2020

I think you are right in your approach, because it is the way I made it and still work it in my flocks. Even tough I don’t need to have them removed, I don’t use AGP in my flocks for 3 years now. Observation of droppings/litter quality and ventilation management are very important too.

Recommend
Martin Smith
Evonik Animal Nutrition
4 de enero de 2021

Frederic Paris Dear Mr. Paris, thank you for the comment. Indeed, I wrote this short piece to start conversations and debate! I am pleased you are successful with no AGPs; may this continue throughout 2021! MPS

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.