search
search
We will be present at:
August 7, 2022 to August 11, 2022
Paris, Ile-de-France, France

A Suggested Blueprint for Coping with AGP Removal

Published on: 12/16/2020
Author/s : Martin Smith, Technical Service Director Middle East Africa

Background Antibiotic Growth Promotors (AGPs) are a group of feed additives widely used to improve animal health and performance. Mode of action is actually still an area of debate, but it is clear we have moved away from a simple model of reduction of pathogens / reduction of microbiota competition with the host animal to one where reduction of inflammation and modulation of immune response...

remove_red_eye 359 forum 8 bar_chart Statistics share print
Share :
close
Hossam Munir Khereba Hossam Munir Khereba
Marketing Manager
December 16, 2020

I think also improving the litter quality is playing an important role with AGP removal.

Martin Smith Martin Smith
Animal Nutritionist
Evonik Animal Nutrition Evonik Animal Nutrition
Rellinghauser, Hessen, Germany
December 17, 2020
Hossam Munir Khereba Thanks for your comment Mr. Khereba. I agree that litter quality is important. However I see litter quality as a consequence of activities we do as poultry managers, rather than a solution in itself. Indeed, Litter quality is actually an excellent indicator that things are good...or not so good!
Mangalmurti Pathak Mangalmurti Pathak
MVSc & A.H. Animal Nutrition
December 17, 2020
Effective water management,optimisation of feed quality using diffrent non antibiotic feed additives, litter management and biosecurity are the key factors to improve gut immunity and gut related problems.
Animal Nutritionist
December 17, 2020
Mangalmurti Pathak Thanks for your comment Mr. Pathak. I think generally we agree on these areas!
December 21, 2020

My suggestion is screening the particular microbiota of each production complex and correlate higher and lower performance with the patterns.
Doing it with feaces could help to understand why the microorganisms are there.
Feaces is part of our production and we do not go deep in understanding the most inoculation power in the whole system.

Animal Nutritionist
December 22, 2020

Luis Fernando Vergamini Luna. Thank you for the comment. I think in future this might be a reality. Currently, though, our understanding of microbiota dynamics is still poor; and in fact we know that it varies considerably even between individual birds in the same house. We therefore are forced into broad management decisions and strategies, like the ones I presented. MPS

Frederic Paris Frederic Paris
Poultry farmer
December 30, 2020

I think you are right in your approach, because it is the way I made it and still work it in my flocks. Even tough I don’t need to have them removed, I don’t use AGP in my flocks for 3 years now. Observation of droppings/litter quality and ventilation management are very important too.

Animal Nutritionist
January 4, 2021

Frederic Paris Dear Mr. Paris, thank you for the comment. Indeed, I wrote this short piece to start conversations and debate! I am pleased you are successful with no AGPs; may this continue throughout 2021! MPS

print
(359)
(8)
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Create new discussion :
If this discussion does not cover topics of interest or raises new questions, you can create another discussion.
Consult a professional in private:
If you have a specific problem you can perform a consultation privately to a professional in our community.
Nelson Ruiz
Nelson Ruiz
Chemist, MS, PhD
  Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Products
NOT JUST BETTER — BEST RESULTS. Performance, effectiveness, efficien...
GETTING MORE OUT OF YOUR FEED. ThreAMINO® consistently improves the qu...