Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Solar panels for poultry farms

Published: July 15, 2021
By: Jaime Ramos

Is it cost effective to install solar panels with battery storage (HYBRID on-grid) system in a tunnel vented building with 45,000 capacity? I am just looking into investing in a poultry farm in the near future (Philippines). I would appreciate comments or suggestions.

Related topics
Authors:
Jaime Ramos
Influencers who recommended :
Talaat Mostafa El-Sheikh
Recommend
Comment
Mike Czarick
University of Georgia
15 de julio de 2021
Depends on the cost of electricity, government subsidies, and of course the cost of the panels. It also depends on how much of the power used by a house are your trying to replace with solar. Quite simply the more expensive your power....the better the return on investment.
Recommend
Jaime Ramos
21 de julio de 2021
Dr. Mike Czarick Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. Mr. Jaime Ramos
Recommend
Dr. Mehmet Kuran
Ondokuz Mayis University
20 de julio de 2021
We have 85 kW solar panel system off grid on our poultry unit 100000 bird capacity. One year experience showed that it covered almost all the electericity need of the houses. On grid systems maintanance expense may be high. I would suggest off grid system. The cost of investment was approximately 500 usd per kW in Turkey. We received 40% support the government and the electricity production of the unit covers all the consumption. So in our condition it definately is cost effective.
Recommend
Chris Moustakis
21 de julio de 2021
Dr. Mehmet Kuran. What type of house is this? Broiler/Layer ?? Is is insulated house with ventilation systems, or floor reared?
Recommend
Jaime Ramos
21 de julio de 2021
Dr. Mehmet Kuran Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.
Recommend
Dr. Mehmet Kuran
Ondokuz Mayis University
21 de julio de 2021
Dear Chris Moustakis Insulated broiler houses with tunnel ventilation system
Recommend
Chris Moustakis
22 de julio de 2021
Dr. Mehmet Kuran Are they cage reared, if so, what is the layout and size of that house. Or is this 85Kw system running multiple houses?
Recommend
Dr. Mehmet Kuran
Ondokuz Mayis University
22 de julio de 2021
Dear Chris Moustakis 6 houses in total. Each 90 m in lenght and 1260 square meter. Solar panels were installed on one of the houses. Floor rearing.
Recommend
Luong Xuan Dao
21 de julio de 2021
Currently, the investment cost of solar panels is very reasonable and suitable for investment! Areas with a lot of sunlight, so investing in the system will be appropriate. In Vietnam, we 70% of farms use solar energy
Recommend
SalahEldeen Alaghbash
26 de julio de 2021
I have been looking for a potential supplier for solar system to promote the product here in SUDAN where we have severe power shortage and high fuel cost, to operate stand by gensets
Recommend
DR.R.N.Sreenivas Gowda
Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University
26 de julio de 2021

Introduction of greener technologies in poultry is a welcome sign. wherever more sunlight is there it is better to use solar energy, and how they are available at reasonable cost.
Similarly generating electricity from litter can also be explored to save electricity in poultry farms.

Recommend
Joe Batista
27 de julio de 2021
Yes
Recommend
Talaat Mostafa  El-Sheikh
28 de julio de 2021
May be details of Solar panels for poultry farms and economic and practicals studies
Recommend
Luis Pacana
12 de agosto de 2021

A 50,000 population of broiler in a tunnel vent would require about 50 KVA of power per day which includes electricity for the big exhaust/ventilation fans, motors for the pads, water distribution motors and submersible pumps, hundreds of lights inside and perimeter outside the tunnel vent housing, sensors and others. The projected savings in solar power conversion is at least 30%. The set up is grid-tied. The required power at night will be through the grid. All-day power needs would be through solar power

Definitely this design could be advantageous to the poultry grower. This set up could last about 30 years while the savings could pay off the cost of the solar materials and installations in about three years.

Recommend
Jaime Ramos
12 de octubre de 2021
Luis Pacana Sir may I come visit you personally when I come to Philippines. You seem like well versed on this industry.
Recommend
Luis Pacana
12 de octubre de 2021
Jaime Ramos Yes Jaime lets set it as soon as come to the Philippines. Where do you intend to set up your poultry operations?
Recommend
Jaime Ramos
12 de octubre de 2021
Luis Pacana I wanted Pampanga, Tarlac or Nuevo Ecija. I am now looking for a suitable lot that’s over 1.5 hectares that will pass the inspection of the integrator. Looking to start January or February 2022. My experience in Canada is restaurant ownership so I am learning as much as I could through YouTube. Please keep in touch. Jaime Ramos
Recommend
Luis Pacana
12 de octubre de 2021
Jaime Ramos, Got it Jaime, also am looking at using microbial innoculants to reduce ammonia and hydrogen sulfide levels to drastically reduce the obnoxious odor from the manure and further process them to organic fertilzers. Lets keep in touch. You could also reach me thru email. My email add is lbpacana@gmail.com. Louie
Recommend
Jaime Ramos
12 de octubre de 2021
Luis Pacana Ok will do. Jaime Ramos
Recommend
Luis Pacana
9 de octubre de 2021
The power requirement during the day is by solar power without using batteries. The set up is grid tied for the night power needs. The cost of batteries and their scheduled replacements is very expensive. Depending on power costs, decisions be weighed based on possible savings.. The solar power without batteries seemed more appropriate. Savings could be realized from 30--40%.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.