Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Short period of immunity following vaccination

Published: December 3, 2018

I would be grateful if you comment on

1- What is the reason behind a short persistent immunity? I, sometimes, face a short period of immunity following vaccination by NDV clone 30 and Ma 5 vaccine in parent breeder during laying. What do you advise me to review?

2- What causes the interference of mild field challenge during vaccination?

Related topics
Authors:
Anonymous
Anonymous
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Adebayo oluwole
4 de diciembre de 2018

Short period of immunity during vaccination can be caused by series of activities that goes around before, on or after the vaccination. The following could be the reasons;

1 Flock pre-vaccination handling: As it is the rule of thumb that sick birds should not be vaccinated because of the level of immunity, they have as then is low, which if vaccinated may pose stress on the birds and the body interaction might not favour the building of a good litter for the said used vaccine. For these reasons, there will be shorter period of immunity.

2 On vaccination procedures; majority of livestock handlers overlook prompt routines that has to be done prior and during a vaccination exercise which give rise to ineffective vacation exercise among which are using traces of disinfectant either to flush or clean the water system these will reduce the potency of the constituted vaccine, poor drinker to birds ratio, which posses some birds not having access to constituted vaccine, longer period of water withdrawal from the flock which will be a stressor as all source of stress should be minimized during vaccination, vaccine choice (is it the right strain to be used in your area, how about the cold chain) vaccine reconstitution process is it done in the right way, Quality of the water used (is free from ions and minerals which can bind and reduce the potency? And is the water also free of chlorine?) It's  also important to look into the temperature of the house during vaccination.

3 Post-vaccination handling of the flock; vaccination can be correctly done with right vaccine and it poses good titer but the activities on the flock, which induces stress on the flock (i.e outbreak of diseases, heat stress, activities on the farm, medication), can affect the length of immunity on the flock.

Asif Latif
10 de diciembre de 2018

Route of vaccination to be administered is also an important factor for immune response and duration of vaccination titers as drinking water route is on low rating immune response as compared to aerial spray method of vaccination.

Dr Kibiike David
11 de diciembre de 2018

The I feel the left out is the timing. In some case, vaccination are done in a short interval before the immunity subsides another antigen is put in. This neutralizes the antibody developed and will leave the birds unprotected. Here in Uganda, it is common where farmers vaccinate against Gumburo in the first week of the life of the chicks. In that period there is still maternal immunity and if you do vaccinate you will neutralize the maternal antibodies leaving the birds unprotected. It is one of the reasons why most farmers get attacked by Gumboro infection in the 3 or 4th week despite the fact that they did vaccinate.

Kasame Trakullerswilai
Saha Farms
11 de diciembre de 2018

The strain of vaccine may be milder than host immune so difficult overriding. If you want to get long immunity, you have to use killed vaccine at the onset of lay and mid lay, and vaccination technic for good uniform immunity for preventing rolling reaction.

Valentine Van Hamme
Kemin Industries, Inc
11 de diciembre de 2018
I agree, a lot can go wrong in between vaccine preparation, administration and production of a protective level of antibodies by the bird. Above comments already show a nice overview. Another topic I would like to add to this discussion, is the use of in feed solutions to enhance vaccination efficiency. Quite some scientific research is done on this topic, like for example this publication, related to NDV and IBV vaccination: https://academic.oup.com/ps/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.3382/ps/pey523/5203546?redirectedFrom=fulltext
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister