Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Nutritional alternatives to mitigate heat stress

Published: February 27, 2023
Mike Persia (Virginia Tech) talks about the benefits of Direct-Fed Microbials (also Sulfur Amino Acid supplementation) to help manage the adverse effects of heat stress, in this interview during IPPE 2023 in Atlanta, USA.
Related topics
Authors:
Mike Persia
Virginia Tech
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Mohammad Afrouziyeh
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Mohammad Afrouziyeh
University of Alberta
1 de marzo de 2023
This important topic has been on my radar as an animal nutritionist. I added the take-home message from this excellent talk to my list below. Thanks for sharing! Some solutions to mitigate the adverse effects of heat stress: 1. Dietary considerations: 1.1. stimulate feed intake by feeding crumble; feed during the cool hours as much as possible; increase feeding frequency; top-dress the feed using oyster shell meal, molasses, etc.) 1.2. Increase dietary energy so the birds can get their nutrient requirements despite the impaired feed intake 1.3. Increase dietary amino acids level but not the crude protein level 1.4. Increase the levels of sulfur amino acids to help with antioxidant responses during heat stress 1.5. Add vitamin C to the diet 1.6. Adjust Dietary Electrolyte Balance (DEB) to at least 250mEq/kg 1.7. Sodium bicarbonate might help, especially if there is an eggshell problem 2. Proper ventilation strategy to remove the hot air from the barn (example: tunnel ventilation) 3. Proper water treatment (for example, cooling water as much as possible, which can be done by flushing the drinker line and replace with fresh water)
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
Indbro Research & Breeding Farms
4 de marzo de 2023
Dear Dr.Afrouzieh, The broiler birds have tremendous appetite and they keep eating when feed is there. Your 7 points are practical and proven. I follow these when our temperatures rise to beyond 40C. We feed the birds at 4am and advise all broiler farmers to lift the feeders to a higher level beyond the reach of the bird after 10am to be brought down again after 5pm. Lot of people are trying to make business with plant products which do not work. Cooling of houses with foggers and fans is an economical way to cool houses especially in areas with dry climate. Your work is good and I appreciate. Thank you Dr.Kotaiah Indbro Reserach , India
Bilal shaukat
9 de mayo de 2023
Mohammad Afrouziyeh what about use of oils in feed formulation?
Dr. Faraz Majeed
Al-Meezan Feeds (Pvt.) Ltd.
4 de junio de 2023
Mohammad Afrouziyeh Totally agree i just want to add some more that different organic acids especially citric acid in drinking water will definitely help. Moreover in high humid season, increase the air velocity by installing baffles in the house.
Bertrand Medina
Probiotech International
2 de marzo de 2023
Some botanicals as spice extracts or Essential oils with some neuro-modulation capacities might also be applied for mitigating heat stress.
Ram Singh
2 de marzo de 2023
Yes, Dear Bertrand, I agree with you and I have also noticed increased feed intake and feed efficiency when birds are fed during cool hours. Dr Ram Singh Bibyan
Dr Kotaiah Talapaneni
Indbro Research & Breeding Farms
4 de marzo de 2023
Dietary considerations 1.1 to 1.7 are excellent options. Addition of plant based products hypo thermic medicines are not useful. Of course keeping the outside temperature is the best solution for birds with no sweat glands
Dr. Ali R. Leon
5 de marzo de 2023

My compliments to Dr. Mohammad for remembering these suggestions that are important for poultry producers, who forget them and then complain about the bad results.

Ram Singh
6 de marzo de 2023
During heat stress, the impact of mycotoxin toxicity on animal is higher compared to cold climate. Dr Ram Singh Bibyan
Md. Masd Rana
12 de marzo de 2023

Dear Dr. Afrouziyeh

Thank you. I agree with you on all aspects, but in recent decades feed cost has been a crucial issue for poultry production all over the world. So we are looking for sustainable and safe alternatives to minimize the cost of feed, heat stress, energy & protein ratio that really encourage the farmers for poultry production.

Alfredo Irazusta
Alinat
16 de marzo de 2023

Dear Sirs

Talking about nutritional alternatives to mitigate heat stress; maybe you can consider the use of Betain as an important osmoregulator.

There is more than enough practical and basic research on this issue.

Nice topic.

Alfredo Irazusta.
Alinat SRL.
Argentina.

Jashi Gideon Bitrus
15 de abril de 2023
I normally advise farmers to feed their birds early in the morning say 6:30 to 7:30am and letter day of afternoon 5 to 6pm and increases the light to 7pm to enable them finish their feed. Fresh water can be served in the afternoon, anything that can add stress to the bords should be avoided
Dr. Ali R. Leon
17 de abril de 2023
AQUI EN MI PAIS VENEZUELA , RECOMIENDO ALIMENTAR LAS GALLINAS PONEDORAS TEMPRANO EN LA MANANA Y LUEGO EN LA TARDE A ULTIMA HORA SALUDOS
Dr. Sudheer
18 de abril de 2023
Use of paracetamol @10 mg/kg body weight through drinking water two hours prior to expected peak temperature is useful in maintaining body temperature of broilers. In layers, paracetamol can be used through feed.
Dr Prasad Kulkarni
Adisseo
18 de abril de 2023
Salicylic acid in the same way can help as anti pyretic in extreme summer conditions and found useful to check heat stroke mortality especially for layer birds
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister