Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Marek´s Disease. G. Wozniakowski (National Veterinary Research Institute)

Published: October 11, 2011
Gregorz Wozniakowski, from the National Veterinary Research Institute, Pulawy, Poland speaks about Marek´s disease during the XVII World Veterinary Poultry Association Congress in Cancún, Mexico.
Related topics
Authors:
Grzegorz Wozniakowski
National Veterinary Research Institute (Poland)
Recommend
Comment
Stephen Adejoro Dr
Soavet
18 de octubre de 2011
Thank you for offering this medium for brain storming on this topic of economic magnitude to the poultry Industry World Wide.We have long identified this problem of vaccination failure in the tropics and especially in the subsaharra Africa. I have documented some case studies in my years of practice and now concludes that this scenario is one of the consequences of climate changes that is precipitated by the immunodeficiency effect of mycotoxin on the health status of poultry. I summarised below my observation and conclusion of one of my presentation in Tours France as a postal presentation in 2010 Record analysis. A tool for predicting the origin of post hatchery mareks disease outbreaks ,and a useful evidence in adjudicating hatchery/farmer conflicts resolution. A case study from a humid tropical climate By Stephen Oluwole Adejoro A cumulative study of a 25year evaluation of post-hatchery mareks vaccination outbreak in Nigeria by this author showed that:- FINDINGS • Mareks vaccination at hatchery does not confirm solid immunity as many outbreaks were recorded on the field after 12 weeks of age • These field out breaks could be classified either as hatchery related or purely as a result of field challenges. • Many exogenous factors such as social stress of overcrowdings and aftoxicosis were identified as potentiating factors to immune breakdown on the field. RECOMMENDATION • The study recommends and showed empirical evidences for a second booster with HVT between 2-3weeks of age. CONCLUSION • The study concluded that management of mareks diseases outbreak is a joint responsibilities of the hatcheries and farmers in order to minimize the colossal losses to the industry. • The study can provide empirical but circumstantial evidences for conflict resolution between the farmer and the hatchery NEW CHALLENGES Will In-Ovo vaccination be able to confirm a solid immunity when other exogenous factors are controlled? BENEFITS ? The outcome of this study will create outstanding market opportunities for this new product in existing and emerging hatcheries in Nigeria and West Africa. ? The out come of the study will be useful for other regions of the world. CONCLUSION If these studies are compiled into a brochure form, it will guide many active and potential hatcheries and farmers in Africa on the management of this economic disease of poultry. REQUEST Any interested company willing to sponsor continued work collaborate in this project are welcome for discussion with Dr. Stephen O Adejoro and Mr. B Reli. THANKS
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.