Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Biosecurity in poultry farms

Management of Farm Bio-security Part II

Published: August 5, 2011
Summary
In Part 1 only the principles of bio-security were discussed. In part II and part III the other aspects of bio-security will be discussed. What are critical points of a poultry farm which needs special attention, how we can make bio-security plan successful, why bio-security is breached especially in Asian countries, what mistakes we commit, how we can implement proper bio-security plans, can...
Related topics
Authors:
Munawar Ali
Islamabad Group
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Vignes Theivendram
22 de noviembre de 2011
Well presented
Joseph Akayi Nammonywa
23 de noviembre de 2011
Good info-if stake holders can adhere to this then we shall be 100% on the correct managements.
Tarusenga Munyanyi
23 de noviembre de 2011
that sounds good and if all is said and done then farmers can make profit from the chickens because of low mortality as well as saved money.
Douglas Choto
Bedson
23 de noviembre de 2011
Well highlighted key principles. However the practicality has not been fully established. What i have seen is the wholistic approach is applied more to breeders than broilers. In some countries its a question of cost benefit and producers are working on thin profit margins. What would you highlight as must dos even at commercial broiler level.
Thiruveni Rajendrakumar
23 de noviembre de 2011
very useful article also want to know how to access Part III so as to get details on rodents control in poultry farms
Dr. Zaib Ur Rehman
23 de noviembre de 2011
This article explains the concept of biosecurity brilliantly. All these points should be kept in mind before the farm construction and during the birds growing so, that we can get maximum from this enterprise. I am very thankful to author for reminding such useful information.
Munawar Ali
Islamabad Group
24 de noviembre de 2011
Dear Douglas Thanks for comments. These are the basic points. How these can be applied will depend upon the situation, location and facilities. It is proven that bio-security measures are always beneficial for all kinds of poultry i.e. broiler, layers or breeders. The cost is always negligible as compared to total investment. Best regards Dr. Munawar Ali
Dr Muhammad Arshad  Manj
SB Feed
24 de noviembre de 2011
Aoa, dear dr sb , very helpful &practical aspects of biosecuity r discussed . Dr sb , every part of biosecurity is dicussed , i would like to know , what type of disinfectants should we use, their contact time, proper temp &humidity for their action& for how much time foot dips &hand dips are effective ? thnk u dr sb .
Munawar Ali
Islamabad Group
24 de noviembre de 2011
Dr Arshad Sb You are exactly right. Before using various disinfectant we should know exactly their characteristics . You can see all these details on internet. The disinfectant manufacturing companies also give details about their products. All readers are requested to study these characters before selecting and using any disinfectants. This is very important for proper bio security and and economics also. Best wishes and regards Dr. Munawar Ali
Atif Hamza
25 de noviembre de 2011
very good information
Dr Jaydip Mulik
29 de noviembre de 2011
Dear Sir, Very informative article and deeply elaborated. Thanks a lot, Dr. Jaydip
Ayanda Ngxumeshe
ARC Vision
15 de diciembre de 2011
Dr, The article is very useful in our poutry farms. I really appreciate it. Regarding the disinfectants, I think one needs to change them from time to time to prevent resistance. Am I right? In that case, how long should we use one disinfectant before changing it? And can we alternate two dissinfectants or more?
Dr Muhammad Arshad  Manj
SB Feed
15 de diciembre de 2011
dear ayanda. u r right , disinfectants use must b monitored and they shoulb change after every 3 ,months .bcs it is observed that there is some resistance against a disinfectant which is used frequently , phenyle group is best now adays. thnx
Ayanda Ngxumeshe
ARC Vision
15 de diciembre de 2011
Thank you Dr Muhammad.
Leo Antony
Suguna Group
31 de enero de 2013

A very fine article, Dr.Munawar which I feel is based on real observations made by you. I like it that way. You have gone into micro details where Biosecurity principles are violated-eg. exposing washed uniforms to dust and contamination etc.... It is in these little ways that we invite problems. It all boils down to what I believe- that Bio security should start from the mind, governed by conviction. Many believe that Biosecurity is in using the latest gadets and sanitizers. If Bio security is not ingrained in our thinking and living, it will only be superficial and will not work. As you have so well said in one of your pointers, worker education, good example by technical staff and clear communication are very vital to support good Bio security. Thank you for the fine sharing. Leo Antony, Bangalore, India

Munawar Ali
Islamabad Group
1 de febrero de 2013

Dear Leo Antony

Thanks for positive remarks about my article. You are exactly right that Bio-security should be in our thinkings if we want to secure our birds. I hope you will guide me in future also.

Best regards

Dr. Munawar

Famuyide Ibukun Michael
6 de febrero de 2013

A very good discourse. Biosecurity is the lifewire of a successful animal production enterprises. It must be ensured that every employee go through the training in Biosecurity before working.
Thank you for the enlightenment.

Dr. Famuyide Ibukun,
Nigeria

Sijishnambiar
20 de febrero de 2013

Very informative
How to start biosecurity in indian poultry, diary? 
We've more than 100 labours and landowners condact to enter.
tx
sijish nambiar
agricultural labour consultant
southindia

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister