Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Investigating Vaccination Failure in Poultry Flocks1

Published: June 14, 2013
Summary
Protecting poultry against disease involves more than simply administering preventive vaccines. Disease prevention is a complex and multifaceted process. Vaccine quality is commonly blamed when a disease occurs; however, there are usually other factors responsible. A comprehensive investigation is often called for to identify the cause(s) and to resolve the problem. Commercial poultry farms ha...
Related topics:
Authors:
Gary Butcher
University of Florida
Recommend
Comment
Munawar Ali
Islamabad Group
6 de julio de 2013

Very useful and informative article. Dr Gary is exactly right. In field there are many errors and mistakes in handling and administering these vaccines. A lot of effort is required to teach farmers specially in Asian countries to get the maximum out of these vaccines. There are lot of vaccine reactions. Vaccine failures and disease outbreaks due to farmer's own mistakes. We should read this article very carefully and then apply in field to get better performances.
We hope Dr Gary will continue to write these type of articles.

Dr. Munawar Ali

Recommend
Daniel Mc Elroy
9 de septiembre de 2013
the problem that is occurring, with most poultry injections is not the vaccine, but that of the administration, what is happing the birds are not getting done at the one time with this i mean the arrival of new birds say 2 weeks later than the first arrivals what happens here the birds that have been jagged excrete the virus that was injected into them 2 weeks before and the new inmates are then picking up the virus when there immune system is at its weakest i find the product naxcel ok but all birds have to be done on the same day hope this will help
Recommend
Dr. Mrinal Kumar Sharma
Jubilant Life Sciences Ltd.
10 de septiembre de 2013
Thanks for reviewing this important topic Dr Butcher. We often struggle to findout about a failed vaccination before it actually shows up in losses or mortality. Could you kindly outline some mechanisms to check on whether the vaccination has been done properly or is it going to give the desired results?
Recommend
Robert Serwanga
Agrarian Systems
24 de septiembre de 2013
Thank You Dr. Gray You have touched an area were we as farmers usually think we have mastered the routine and start applying vaccines on our own. Here in Uganda the outbreak after vaccination is usually blamed on the vaccine. But this article has placed me in the right place with all to do with vaccines. i will inform my fellow farmers and if any questions arise i will here for your expert advise. Bravo.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.