Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Inflammation of gizzard in large broiler birds

Published: November 2, 2022
By: Dr. Sahil Kalia, Ph.D.
We noticed an inflammation of the gizzard in the bigger birds above 3 kg of BW.
Related topics:
Authors:
Dr. Sahil Kalia, Ph.D.
Recommend
Comment
MIGUEL A. CORREA
2 de noviembre de 2022

Good morning. It seems to me that it is an enlargement of the crop, not of the gizzard.

Recommend
Musa Ibrahim Waziri
3 de noviembre de 2022

I think is the crop,
not gizzard in this case

Recommend
Akintunde Akintoye
11 de noviembre de 2022
it is called Pendulous Crop. this kind of Case do occasionally occur in poultry farm. One out of 5000 bird might have it. the cause is unknown but i want to assume it is a nervous issue i.e issue with Vagus Nerve.
Recommend
Dr. Sahil Kalia, Ph.D.
14 de noviembre de 2022
Akintunde Akintoye yes we saw this symptoms only in the few chickens beyond 3 Kg of body weight.
Recommend
Musa Ibrahim Waziri
16 de noviembre de 2022
Mareks disease virus infection affecting peripheral nerves especially branch of vargus nerve supply to the crop could lead to pendulous crop. Crop impaction due to roughages/undigestable feed is often seen in turkeys causing pendulous crop
Recommend
sunil kumar
19 de noviembre de 2022
As per my knowledge in poultry particularly impaction of crop or infection in crop and sometime air sac formation under the skin due to hearted skin. It may also vagus narve paralysis of crop, so many reason it seem like.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.