HYDERABAD, TELANGANA, Andhra Pradesh, India

Improving protein digestibility in poultry

Video information
See more
remove_red_eye 1651 forum 29 bar_chart Statistics share
Share :
close
September 24, 2019
Hello from Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, Spain. Thanks for your short but clear presentation Silvia, very interesting. My questions to you are: i) would Cibenza EP150 replace, in a mixed- grains, vegetable proteins- type of diet for broilers the rest of the normally used carbohidrases?; ii) in case you believe they both have to be used, would they have additive or even synergetic effect?; iii) is your product registered in the EU for monogastrics?

Many thanks in advance. Muchas gracias Silvia!
September 26, 2019
Rafael Duran Right questions, Mr.Duran. The best way to answer is to watch on EP150 matrix values. And of course, protease is reason to use together with an other carbohydrases and phytase.
Silvia Peris Silvia Peris
Technical Manager
Novus International Novus International
Missouri, United States
October 3, 2019
Dr. Fiodor S. Marchenkov Dear Fiodor, you are correct, we see additional benefits when using Cibenza EP150 together with phytase, and also carbohydrases, although not to forget the additional gut health benefit that the Bacillus licheniformis spores is providing. In relation to the matrix values, it may vary among different diets depending on the raw materials composing those diets. The substrate for the protease is the undigestible portion of the protein which can be increased by using other less undigestible raw materials at the expenses of soya, such as rapeseed, sorghum, lupines, etc.

Thank you,

Silvia
Silvia Peris Silvia Peris
Technical Manager
Novus International Novus International
Missouri, United States
October 3, 2019

Dear Rafael, Thank you for your interest and questions regarding Cibenza EP150. And before answer, my apologies for the delay on the reply; due to travelling I was unable to connect. My answer to your 3 questions is the following:

i) Cibenza EP150 is not intended to replace carbohydrases, but to maximize the use of protein in the animal by digesting the remained indigestible portion of protein that otherwise moves to the distal parts of the intestine; therefore the substrate for the protease is the indigestible portion;

(ii) according to our research, there is a synergy between protease and carbohydrases; the extend of this synergy is dependent on the nature of the ingredients in the diet, and we also observe synergy between the protease and the phytase;

(iii) Cibenza EP150 is currently registered in the European Union for broilers, laying hens until de point of lay and minor poultry species (ducks, quails, etc).

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards,

Silvia

October 3, 2019
Silvia, many thanks for answering my questions in such short period - believe me when I say at times questions are not answered -. They are very clear and helped me getting the concept of your protease and what to expect when it is combined either with carbohydrase and/or with a phytase. Interesting point as well that one of the intestinal health. Take care during your next trips!
Haroon Mushtaq Haroon Mushtaq
PostDoc in Poultry Nutrition
October 6, 2019
Enzymes usually perform better, but not additive, in combination with phytase and obvious reason is the breakdown of caging effect of NSPs.
October 25, 2019
Haroon Mushtaq Absolutely right!
October 6, 2019

For many years, when working with an enzyme producer, we suggested that a combination of enzymes would most likely be the most effective but almost to a man they screamed no, it would just be helping our competitor... not realizing it would enhance their own product.

October 7, 2019

Dr. Waldroup - in my opinion - is the foremost authority of brolier nutrition.

I think it would be of great value if Dr. Waldroup would extend his comment regarding enzymes.

Perhaps Engormix should invite him to make a presentation on this topic. Thank you.

October 25, 2019
Park W. Waldroup Yes it is, especially big enzymes producers.
October 7, 2019
But still we’re unable to convince customer the probable benefits of using protease particularly. Though we’ve lot of trial data to mark the difference.
October 25, 2019

Haroon Mushtaq It is necessary to change customer's point of view. I agree, it's a difficult problem...

Youssef Attia Youssef Attia
Professor
October 8, 2019

Protease and phytases had different mode of action on protein digestibility and thus a combination of them most likely to have a great effect during first 4 weeks of life and on low nutritive value feedstuffs. Perhaps more research can improve our background in this area.

October 25, 2019
Youssef Attia yes, it is, phytase has indirect mode of action, partly using destoy of phytates and partly using decrease of cell effect (because phytates has gummy consistents). Less phytates - more convenient conditions for protease action.
October 10, 2019

Proteases have the ability not only to improve undigested protein but also mitigate the adverse effects of trypsin inhibitors, for example seen in underprocessed soybean meal, which can cause impaired growth and feed efficiency in broilers.

October 14, 2019

Very good discussion. As many of us realize that it is the common misunderstanding of enzymes mode of action in general and the fact that they "Share" a common pool of nutrients, mainly energy and AA. This remains to be a subject that is not clear for the end user who struggles most of the times with the matrices provided by enzymes producers and the fact that some of them ignore such facts in purpose to sell their own product!
The fact of the matter is that a major part of a matrix for a given enzyme is unique to that enzyme. For example, a protease main impact on nutrients digestibility is on proteins, pronounced by the digestibility of the amino acids, and of course, as a side effect increasing the AME because free-roaming amino acids are the first source of energy in poultry. However, the increased energy digestibility due to the use of different NSPases does not share this particular component as these enzymes do not degrade proteins and therefore, there is an added benefit of the protease to NSPases function. while other components of energy will be a shared pool due to the complex structure of NSP in the diets and the fact that phytate as well is entangled within that structure, and the presence of glycol-proteins and galacto-proteins...etc. Therefore, it is important that we clarify these facts to the end user who in most cases is not a biochemist nor an expert in plant histology!
It remains to be our duty first to explain the importance of balanced ration before we explain the benefit these external enzymes provide.

October 25, 2019

Very good discussion. Proteases have the ability not only to improve undigested protein but also mitigate the adverse effects of trypsin inhibitors.

Professor of Animal Nutrition
Faculty of Technology & Development
Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt.

Saif Ul Haq Saif Ul Haq
Animal Nutritionist
October 21, 2019

Dear Haroon,
Impressing customers is useless, proteases should perform.
Many factors play, I mean right type & quantity of protease, ample dietary substrate, right physiological age of bird and perhaps most important is the return on investment.
Regards.

October 26, 2019

Saif Ul Haq actually, nature of protease should be known to have its effect and per se nature is a wider term so does the performance. We shouldn’t expect consistency of performance from enzymes as there are a lot of factors which deviate performance of enzymes, even phytase, but return on investment matters.

Alvaro Dubois Alvaro Dubois
Technical Consultant at Cargill
October 24, 2019

One common mistake is to refer to the fact that an enzyme, when added on top of others, will still show benefit (performance, digestibility, etc.) as synergy. Synergy is a special situation that is best represented by the equation 1 + 1 = 3. In other words, when you add the second enzyme you would get more than the sum of their individual effects. In most cases, as in the discussion above on protein digestibility, what can be best expected is to have additivity (1 + 1 = 2) but in most cases you have less than that (1 + 1 = 1.5) or even (1 + 1 = 1). Considering that basically all broiler diets today have an added phytase and a large part also a carbohydrase and that both contribute to an increase in protein digestibility (see the great meta-analysis conducted by Cowieson and Bedford published in 2009 'The effect of phytase and carbohydrase on ileal amino acid digestibility in monogastric diets: complimentary mode of action?'), what can be expected with adding a protease on top of the two is quite likely a less than additive impact since the pool of non-digested proteins was already shortened by phytase and carbohydrase addition.

Youssef Attia Youssef Attia
Professor
October 25, 2019

Sure the effect of protease will be indeed affected by other enzymes in the enzymes cocktail and type of diet composition due to the space available for protease to work on even with a different mode of action of different enzymes which may affect protein digestibility indirectly.

Saif Ul Haq Saif Ul Haq
Animal Nutritionist
October 26, 2019

A very informative and practical discussion.

What is the scope of working with proteases while using ingredients of high AA digestibility?

What type of exogenous proteases complement/are synergistic with the endogenous protease?

Do exogenous proteases affect endogenous protease production?

Please comments from Dr. Waldroup.

Regards.

Mangalmurti Pathak Mangalmurti Pathak
MVSc & A.H. Animal Nutrition
October 29, 2019

I recently conducted a trial using different protease enzymes available in India on commercial male broilers. There was an improvement in performance in all the groups against the control group with 5% reduction in the total protein content and ideal amino acid ratios. In one of the groups where protease enzyme is supplemented with xylanase, the enzyme had better performance than other groups.

Dimcho Djouvinov Dimcho Djouvinov
Animal Nutritionist
October 30, 2019

If you apply protease as a sole enzyme, you get improvement in performance. When add into diets with phytase and NSPase, there is no additional significant effect. So, 1+1+1 =2.

Mangalmurti Pathak Mangalmurti Pathak
MVSc & A.H. Animal Nutrition
October 30, 2019

My experience is that in the absence of phytase and xylanase we do not get much improvement if we solely use protease specially in broiler feed.

Nelson Ruiz Nelson Ruiz
Chemist, MS, PhD
October 30, 2019
Dimcho Djouvinov, your comment is quite interesting, and since you are writing from AB Vista I assume you have quantitative data to support your assertions, would you share your data? Thanks
Dimcho Djouvinov Dimcho Djouvinov
Animal Nutritionist
November 1, 2019
Nelson Ruiz , thanks for your comment.
My statement is based on meta-analysis performed by Lee et al., 2018: Poultry Sci., 0:1-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.3382/ps/pey042
For details, pls refer to the paper above.

Just an example with AIAAD (%) of Lys:

no other enzymes:
84.21 no protease
86.37 + protease

with other enzymes:
85.75 no protease
86.11 + protease

Saif Ul Haq Saif Ul Haq
Animal Nutritionist
October 30, 2019
Might be Mr.Djouvinov indicating towards law of diminishing returns in case of application of 3 types of enzyme supplementation.Would like to share his trial details to support his notion.
Regards
Would you like to discuss about this topic: Improving protein digestibility in poultry?
Engormix reserves the right to delete and/or modify comments. See more details
Post a comment
Products
MINTREX® is a next-generation trace mineral and is defined as a chelate...
Finding ways to improve feed efficiency is critical to profitability. When ...
As feed ingredient prices exhibit greater volatility and resources become s...