Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Highly Variable Microbiota Development in the Chicken Gastrointestinal Tract

Published: September 8, 2017
Summary
Introduction A range of studies have investigated the structure of the microbiome in the gut of broiler chickens. Comparison across studies has proven difficult because of the variety of different methods used; e.g. culture based studies [1], G+C profiling analysis [2], quantitative PCR [3], and 16S rRNA based studies. The 16S-based methods have used a number of different approaches including ...
Related topics
Authors:
Mark Geier
University of Adelaide
Follow
Professor Robert Moore
RMIT University
Follow
A/Prof Bob Hughes
University of Adelaide
Follow
Influencers who recommended :
Zehava Uni
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Rafael Duran
IFF - International Flavors & Fragrances
13 de septiembre de 2017
Interesting work presented, congratulations. My question then is from which day should we try to influence microbiota in birds - by feeding certain probiotics - and for how long? Yet, how do we influence the microbiota by increasing digestibility of feeds? Many thanks from Madrid, Rafa.
A/Prof Bob Hughes
University of Adelaide
24 de septiembre de 2017

Rafael Duran, thanks for your interest and questions. My belief is that we need to provide probiotics no later than point of hatch, or earlier if feasible, in order to influence the development of the gut microbiota. Once this is set it is difficult, if not impossible, to alter it without continuous application of probiotics. How long to provide probiotics after hatch is difficult to say due to lack of suitable published evidence in this area. This is a topic requiring much more research effort in my view.

Chris
24 de septiembre de 2017
A/Prof Bob Hughes Thank you for the info and replying. Appreciated
Fazal Malik Malik
25 de septiembre de 2017
A/Prof Bob Hughes hi dr Can u brief us that by providing probiotoc either required daily on regular feeding or some ratio for enhancement and which one is the best probiotic on yr research
A/Prof Bob Hughes
University of Adelaide
25 de septiembre de 2017
fazal Malik Malik As I said earlier, "How long to provide probiotics after hatch is difficult to say due to lack of suitable published evidence in this area. This is a topic requiring much more research effort in my view." Which probiotics are effective is also difficult to say based on published data. As in the early days of exogenous feed enzyme usage there were many claims and also many failures. Marketing hype outpaced validation by repeatable and independent research findings back then as it does now.
Pirzado M Zakria
28 de septiembre de 2017

Interesting article for gut health because nowadays most research is done on how to regulate the beneficial bacteria in the gut system. Sir, what is your opinion about organic acids instead of probiotics? Can acidifiers affect the gut microflora during early age? If we add OA acids during starter and finisher, which will be the form to regulate the gut microbiota?

A/Prof Bob Hughes
University of Adelaide
29 de septiembre de 2017
Pirzado M Zakria I have no direct experience with organic acids or acidifiers hence have no informed opinion. I advise you to look for well written, peer-reviewed articles to answer your questions.
Fazal Malik Malik
1 de octubre de 2017
Pirzado M Zakria my brother in ruminants oA have good response but in mono gastric required trials any body hw have taken trials kindly he can brief us
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister