Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Vaccines against Gumboro disease

Vaccines and vaccinations against Gumboro disease: the key points

Published: September 29, 2011
Summary
Introduction Gumboro Disease, more properly called Infectious Bursal Disease (IBD), is one of the most important viral diseases of chickens. The virus responsible for this condition (IBDV) can be found in almost all farms and countries. Many studies have already been conducted on this disease but more are still needed to better understand the consequences of the genetic and antigenic va...
Related topics
Authors:
Dr Yannick Gardin
Poultry Veterinary Study Group of de EU (PVSGEU)
Follow
Vilmos Palya
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Yasin Amro
Del Monte Foods
18 de octubre de 2011

We are using Bursaplex - in ovo IBD complex vaccination- and it is working very good.

Christopher Hettiarachchi
Maxies
8 de noviembre de 2011
Dear Dr. Yannick, I did not the see the full article but I would like to share my experience with IBD vaccination in our close house broiler operation. First, vaccination efficiency; the nature of the distribution of nipple drinker system does not warrant quick dispensing of water that carries the vaccine unless the water in the lines is emptied before starting the pump that delivers the vaccine. The problem that exists here could be easily solved by using a dye with vaccine stabilizing characters. We improved it from 64% to 99%. The second, is the use of multiple vaccination against IBD. Our antibody monitoring with ELISA shows that second vaccination drastically reduced the antibody levels to very low level. D.C.Hettiarachchi - Sri Lanka
Dr Yannick Gardin
8 de noviembre de 2011

Dear Dr Hettiararchchi,
It seems that you have worked with success on the quality of distribution of the vaccination.
But if the ELISA titres are reduced after the second vaccination, this is probably because your vaccinations are not effective, and the drop in titres correspond to the drop of maternally derived antibodies. May be your vaccinations are too early, or the vaccines that you are using are not capable to overcome the present maternally derived antibody titres. 

Best regards
Yannick Gardin

Maxies
9 de noviembre de 2011

Dear Dr. Yannick Gardin
The vaccine that we use is AviPro IBD intermediate strain LC75. You might understand what has happened by looking at the titer levels given below; first vaccination at day 12, by day 17th, IDEXX ELISA mean titer was 8658 with %CV 3.8. After 2 and 3rd vaccinations , titers reduced drastically. I believe that the titer level shot up after the first vaccination and by looking at the %CV, vaccination efficiency (or quality of distribution of the vaccine) appears to be very good.

Best Regards,
D.C.Hettiarachchi - Sri Lanka

Esperidion Algabre
7 de diciembre de 2011

may i have your professional advice on water vaccination using nipple drinker. i believe that
flushing alone using water is not enough to remove undesirable elements that can affect the potency of vaccine.

Maxies
9 de diciembre de 2011

Dear Dr. Esperidion Algabre

At the end of each cycle just before the the in-put of the batch, de-scaling of water lines including the nipple drinkers with citric acid work well though some literature on this matter suggest that as citric acid can be metabolized by bacteria, bacterial counts in the lines could go up. What I believe in this practice is that the de-scaling could dislodge the biofilms together with the scales. Hydrogen peroxide too work well but it would not de-scale if there are deposits. In broilers or layers, by the time vaccination is given via water, the effect of acids or hydrogen peroxide is long gone and there will not be any effect on the vaccine.

Best Regards,
D.C.Hettiarachchi

Esperidion Algabre
10 de diciembre de 2011
Thank you for the advice,
Sudheer Rukadikar
31 de enero de 2012

As regards IBD titres by IDEXX elisa kits, my practical experience is that if MDA level of IBD is well above 4000 and CV% is less than 30, one invasive intermediate type of IBD vaccine at the age of 14 days in commercial broilers gives good control over iBD. However, if CV% is high, then even if MDA level is higher than 5000, still one may have to use invasive intermediate IBD vaccine at earlier age of 12 days. And in some cases, it may be necessary to use two shots of IBD vaccines - first with standard intermediate type of vaccine at about 8 days of age followed by second of similar type or invasive intermediate type of vaccine at about 16 days of age.

Dibesh Thapa
28 de febrero de 2012

Dear sir,

Thumps up to this article which teaches me more about Gumboro disease. Basically In my country Nepal i can't get best choice of vaccines against IBD . Can i know how it is possible to import the vaccines of CEVA in Nepal?

Would u please forward my interest to the CEVA export manager or mail me at thapavet@mail.com.np

Thanks,

Dr. Arshaq A Ramzee
29 de febrero de 2012

Good article with an angle to promote a commercial product. Perhaps one sided research results. In my opinion, still in ovo inoculation of immune complex Gumboro vaccines are the best.

Kandasamy Avudaiyappan
5 de marzo de 2012
It is very generalized article offering nothing in particular. It is very difficult to get good CV as far as MDV is concerned. High CV% in MDV is quite common and natural because nature works that way. Change in the timing of the IBD vaccination, in a flock with previous iBD history, worked well. It is highly subjective and difficult to generalize.
Saqib Faheem Butt
29 de octubre de 2012

Thanx, DR. Yannic for presenting such a good article. Though this article is all about IBD vaccines, my question is bit different from the topic. My question is "Is their any ibd strain exist which can cause lambness in broiler?". Bcoz , we observed lambness which starts from day 12 to 15 n endup in 5 to 6 days. Typical symptom is that a bird stretch their both legs bacwards and dies. Thoug mortality is not very high but 2 to 3% birds affected in the flock, most of them recover when we isolate them and feed them sepratly.
Thanx.

Tarusenga Munyanyi
12 de febrero de 2013

Thanks for the artcle, but remember vaccines are produced based on the strain which is a problem within in given area and according to the epidemiology and epidemic of the disease not all situation suits suites every part of the world. Understand your epidemiology the disease and how often do you get it after vaccination, before vaccination, then know the health status of your birds, nutrition, age, biosecurity, and method of vaccination and mantaining the cold chain during vaccination. Most farmers follow vaccinations that are produced by the manufacture and marketers of the vaccines they don't consult their veterinarians who have the knowledge baout the disease in the area. Whatever results you get are based of the Maternal antibodies othe parents and the time of vaccination of the progen.

Dr. Ahmad Naseem Goraya
Vet Pharma Trading company
13 de febrero de 2013
Dear Butt sb, please note the one major cause of lameness is feed mycotoxins and vitamin defecenciese take care of these things
Arshaq Ramzee
13 de febrero de 2013

Dear Dr. Fahim, only logical reason for lameness in broilers with IBD, if you have sure that there is no other reason for lameness, is that due to extreme pain in bursa due to inflammation, (Bursa is located above rectum), then broilers may develop a lame gate, otherwise, there is no reason that we associate lameness with IBD and also lameness has nothing to do with mycotoxins. Lameness is a symptom not a disease, reasons are mostly trauma, deficiency of phosphorus, or some vitamins. Mycotoxins causing lameness??????????

Sajid Hameed
13 de febrero de 2013

Dear Dr. Saqib,
Would you like to specify the breed? I know some breed related issues are also persisting regarding joint displacement. I think it ll explain more if you could post some pics.
Good luck.
Cheers

Sajid.
Nutritionist. RCP CA

Emad Elgazzar
AL WADI POULTRY FARMS COMPANY
13 de febrero de 2013

Dear Dr. Saqib, dear collegue

Realy I'm so happy about these valuable discution and these information and exchange practical experiences between us and I do agree with the view of Mr.Trauseng as after vaccination by several days sign of lameness as you see and these symptoms disapear due to the post vaccinal reaction give pain reflex affect or give the position of stretched legs to the back in carachterestic postion and if you make p.m examination of some of these chiken you find sever oedema and perhabs hemorrhagic. This is becaus the strain you used in vaccination (hot stain), generally there are some reason of lameness as some deficiencies--menerals, vitamens, trauma or nerve affection as virus-ND.MEREK,AE------etc

Emad Elgazzar
AL WADI POULTRY FARMS COMPANY
13 de febrero de 2013

Thanks Dr (Saqib-Arshaq-Ahmed)  En.Sajid En,Trauseng.

Tariq Mushtaq
13 de febrero de 2013

Dear Dr. Saqib
Please see if this is problem of knee joint with young bird having rapid growth. This may be Tibial Dyschondroplasia. The main cause is disturbance in DEB due to high chloride contents of feed. If this is so, try to adjust acid-base balance as well as adjust the Ca and P value of feed for this fast growth.

Muhammad Farooq
14 de febrero de 2013

Thanks to all for this informative discussion.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister