Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Using Meat and Bone Meal in Poultry Diets

Published: February 12, 2008
Summary
Meat meal is an animal feedstuff produced by recycling animal by-products. These by-products include meat trimmings, inedible parts and organs, fetuses, and certain condemned carcasses. They are cooked (rendered) to produce a nutritional and economical feed ingredient. Blood, hair, hoofs, horns, manure, stomach contents, and hide trimmings are not permitted to be added to the meal. When bones ar...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Jack Rovics
29 de febrero de 2008

The authors neglected to indicate that much of the meat and bone meal comes from super market waste (butcher shops). This material may vary considerably in freshness. For example, during the hot summer months, some material may stay at the super market for 4-7 days resulting in putrefaction of the protein and possible rancidity of the fat. The above processes will result in low palatability and possible toxicity to poultry and livestock receiving feed containing this ingredient. There are tests to determine whether putrefaction and rancidity has occurred. In addition, the odor of meat and bone meal produced from these off-quality materials will have an undesirable odor.

Jack Rovics, PhD

Ajay Mirkale
Ajay Mirkale
9 de julio de 2008

Dear sir,
your article is very good and beneficial because many farmers and feed mealers are totally unknown about use of Mbm in poultry feed.

Dr. Ajay Mirkale

Drmanjunc
JAPFA Group
9 de enero de 2009

No doubt it is a useful article about poultry feed. But using meat & bone meal without proper quality control tests is too dangerous. One has to do pepsin digestibility, hid & wool tests before using the material.

Dr. Sushil Chandra
Dr. Sushil Chandra
13 de enero de 2009

Quality of MBM which is available in India varies from place to place. Feed millers and the poultry farmers are cautioned to ensure that MBM is sterile one and source is good one. One it it is done, the product is good for poultry feed.

Dr Sushil Chandra
India

Oyedele Oyewumi
Prinzvet Livestock Consult
13 de enero de 2009

This is a good write up about poultry feed. However great caution must be taken as far as salmonellosis is concerned. Proper processing and inclusion of toxin binder will be of added advantage.

Roberts
Roberts
14 de enero de 2009

MBM usage without analysis and an ongoing monitoring procedures reflecting animal/public heath issues, is surely a recipe for the creation of a disease reservoir. Salmonellosis, as already mentioned would be a major concern as would TSEs.

Strict controls would be needed to ensure the feed actually went to poultry feed and not to other species.

Abideen Busari
27 de enero de 2009

I read with tremendous interest this article about poultry feed. Although my base is in UK, I see the poultry practise in Nigeria sub-standard as they add raw bone into their poultry feed without processing or cooking. Anyway, I am trying to make a difference in this Africa sub-region as we are starting poultry and feedmill production in Moniya, Ibadan, Oyo-state, Nigeria. Olotefon Feeds and Poultry will be your answer.

Dr. Dinesh Gautam
Dr. Dinesh Gautam
29 de enero de 2009

The article about poultry feed is interesting. In my personal opinion, due to too much variation of nutrients between batches of the products, it is often very difficult to include it in Broiler diet. Also available amino acid profiles vary considerably.

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister