Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Red hocks in day old chicks

Forum: Red hocks and red dots in old chicks

Published: September 15, 2011
By: Reza Tavayef

Hi friends. Does anybody know how long does it take to disappear red hock and red dot signs in the day old chicks (because of high temperature and low humidity in the hatchery) after hatching?

Related topics:
Authors:
Reza Tavayef
MSD - Merck Animal Health
Recommend
Comment
Ahmad.salahi
21 de septiembre de 2011

Usually, red hocks was observed, when want to take-off chick from hatchery baskets. Generally this position continue until 5 days after hatch. But incubator condition effects on legs was observed in this characteristics during rearing of birds:
1-lameness
2-mortality
3-FCR
4- Growth

Thanks
Ahmad salahi

Recommend
Dr. RAHUL CHANDRAVANSHI
Harshvardhan Laboratories Limited
21 de septiembre de 2011

This condition is attributed to poor conditions in the setter or hatchery. When humidity is set too high, many chicks hatch with an overly large belly, causing them to struggle to leave the shell. As the overheated chick thrusts with its folded legs against the shell, it will - in its bid to be free of its shell as quickly as possible - often thrust too violently, causing damage to its hocks in the process. Red hocks generally disappear within 07 days after hatching.

Recommend
Dr.B Barman
Suguna Group
22 de septiembre de 2011
In the discussion, In my opinion the cause of Red hock is correct what Dr Rahul noted. The red hock should not exceed 1-2% (while scoring the chicks with pasgar scoring system). In normal condition with proper brooding temp and humidity it disappears in 3-4 days.
Recommend
Rouzbeh Fathi
22 de septiembre de 2011
hi .thank you
Recommend
Dr.B Barman
Suguna Group
22 de septiembre de 2011
Thanks for your messege. In my practical experience I reduced this problem after implementing the Compulsory Pasgar scoring for each hatch in all the hatcheries
Recommend
Dr Jaydip Mulik
23 de septiembre de 2011

Dear All,

Regarding the Red Hock and Red Dot problems the views put up by Dr Rahul & Dr Barman are self explanatory on the root cause of the same. we expect the more detailed information to resolve the problem at most by implementing some SOP at hatchery level and Dr Barman has given one solution i.e. PASGAR Scoring method. I request Dr Barman to detail the same as every reader may not be aware of the same.
As per Dr barman by this scoring method we can reduce the problems of red Hocks but i request to come up with the solution to avoid the creation of such problems at hatchery level only.
The experts from the field of hatchery management should brief the best SOP on hatchery practices to nullify the same.

Thanks to author for providing such a wonderful topic for discussion .

Recommend
Dr.D.Desinguraja
23 de septiembre de 2011

The Red Hock and the Red Dot Problem in the Day old Chicks is Mainly associated with the Problem of Thermoregulatory mechanism during the Incubation period in the hatchery. To Prevent the same we need to maintain the Uniform Condition Temp and RH Pattern in the Setter as well as Hatcher.This Ultimately End with the Poor Performance in the Broilers.To Prevent the same we can use the PASGAR Score as Dr.Barman Said and we need to Maintain the Setter and Hatcher with Good Condition as per the SOP.

Recommend
Reza Tavayef
MSD - Merck Animal Health
25 de septiembre de 2011
Thank you so much friends for your kind attention. As I understood, it takes 3 to 7 days for disappearing the signs. I wanted to know this issue as a indicator what happened for the chiks before arriving the farms. It is so important for vaccination program if because of high temp, immune system doesn't work well for some days (specially for spraying method which can make severe reactions).
Recommend
Charles Wisdom Mwanza
14 de julio de 2021
We are having a problem of red hocks we are facing in the hatchery.what could be a in problem with that.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.