Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Predicting Chick Quality: Which Is Best - Chick Length Or Hatch Day Body Weight?

Published: September 25, 2008
Summary
Measuring chick quality has been a difficult issue since the beginning of the poultry industry. There have been many attempts over the decades to evaluate chick quality in the hatchery to predict future performance in the broiler house. One can examine chicks in the hatchery and enumerate conditions such as the incidences of red hocks, open navels, string navels, and other abnormalities. In most c...
Related topics
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Dr Khalid M Mahrose
Dr Khalid M Mahrose
25 de septiembre de 2008

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your great paper about predicting chick quality.
Excuse me I have 2 comments:
1: Could you please give more explanation (or give a diagram) about measuring chick length?
2: What about body height, abdominal length and abdominal contour in chick quality?
Yours,

Dr Khalid M A Mahrose
Dept of Poultry, Faculty of Agriculture, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt.

Aamer Malik
Aamer Malik
20 de enero de 2009

Hi, this is Aamer Malik.
I have read this research paper but I am still thinking how many people/workers are required for measuring length of Chick Quality in big commercial hatcheries.
Thanks.

Aamer Malik

Robert Benton
Robert Benton
28 de octubre de 2010
It should only take 2 people to do chick lenghts. One person to recorded the length and one person to do the measurement.
Neethiraja
Suguna Group
13 de enero de 2011

Sir,

I learned more on from the research about Predicting Chick Quality.

thanks & Regards
Neethiraja A

Ahmad.salahi
16 de marzo de 2011
I think that this trial results in ROSS708, but the majority of meat brioler that reared in world are ROSS308. The other points is necessary to mentioned that chick length is not better than body weight or rate of yolk sac absorption. in practice we observed many chickens with large size but a little activity and bad navel condition. I think that mixe of luven score( pasgar score)+ hatchtech method+ body weight and make a new form for assay is better and complete than this methods. Ahmad Salahi Tehran- IRAN
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister