Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Diets for broiler chickens

Performance of broiler chickens fed diets based on all-vegetable ingredients

Published: September 22, 2011
Summary
Animal by-products are excluded from most commercially manufactured poultry diets in Australia as a precaution against contamination of feed mills with zoonotic agents that could infect ruminants. Excluding animal by-products from formulations not only reduces the nutritive value of the diets but also creates a constraint in feed formulation. This study was undertaken to compare responses of broi...
Related topics:
Authors:
Prof. Paul Iji
University of New England
Recommend
Comment
Ibrahim doudin
27 de septiembre de 2011

Thanks for this article and for the information but if we make a balance of amino acid, can we use feed based all-vegetable ingredients as commercial feed?

Recommend
Prof. Paul Iji
27 de septiembre de 2011
Thanks, Ibrahim. It looks like all-vegetable diets are a practicial possibility. The Australian industry has tested such diets on a small scale and it appears to be feasible, although there are minor differences in performance, which is being attributed to differences in some amino acids. There is currently an on-going study to further look at this, but with meat meal as the animal protein source. Results so far show that birds on vegetable proteins are doing as well as those on diets containing meat meal. However, when given a choice, birds select for the animal protein diets. I must point out, in connection with this article, that most Aussie diets still contain meat meal, but not fish meal, as Australia is not a major fish producer. Paul
Recommend
Dr. Arshaq A Ramzee
28 de septiembre de 2011

Interesting article about broiler chickens fed diets based on vegetables

First of all poultry diet without animal protein or any other ingredient of animal origin is not new. In Pakistan, most of the breeder and GP diets are totally free of any animal source, and even broiler diets are also formulated with the all vegetable sources.

I wonder, tallow is from which vegetable source, i believe, tallow is fat from animal source?????

Recommend
Mohammad A. Hossain
Mohammad A. Hossain
28 de septiembre de 2011
thanks for your query. yep, we are agree with you, tallow I think everybody knows animal fat origin, certainly not vegetable origin., best wishes cheers
Recommend
Dr. Arshaq A Ramzee
28 de septiembre de 2011
So this feed is not without ingredient of animal origin, try to formulate feed with fat from vegetable origin and then you can call the trail's diet without ingredients of animal origin.
Recommend
Mohammad A. Hossain
Mohammad A. Hossain
28 de septiembre de 2011
well, this was our control diet, ok, we used treated in our experiment best regards cheers
Recommend
Kasaka Moses
Makerere University
28 de septiembre de 2011

Its a good article about broiler chickens fed diets based on vegetables. i will try the formulation commercially and see the products. But my problem may be the availability of the enzymes to be added in our country Uganda.Please may i be helped to get those enzymes.

Recommend
Mohammad A. Hossain
Mohammad A. Hossain
28 de septiembre de 2011
thanks for your nice comments, I think , these enzymes are also commercially available, you can contact the Danisco Animal Nutriton,UK) company to collect enzymes for using in your commecial application best regards cheers
Recommend
Saqib Faheem Butt
28 de septiembre de 2011
Dear Hussain... good article. can u give us total recepie of all rations?
Recommend
Dr.Anant Deshpande
28 de septiembre de 2011

Thank you Mr. M.A. Hossain for the article and the further discussion generated. In India, there are many farmers who are currently using vegetarian diet for commercial broilers (except for DCP). The main ingredients are Corn, SBM & the Veg Oil and I would say they are quite happy with the results. Most of them are getting average body weight of around 2 kilo in 36-38 days with an FCR in the range1:1.7-1.8. Looking into the quality of Fish Meal & Meat & Bone Meal in India, this has worked out very well

Recommend
Prof. Paul Iji
28 de septiembre de 2011
Thanks for your comments all. The tallow was a control diet that we regularly use for disease challenge tests. We found that diet to be far inferior to any of the other test diets, but we did not regret including it all the same. A true control diet here would contain an animal protein, which was the fishmeal-containing diets, in our own case. Tallow is not a protein source, being predominantly lipid, and is therefore an energy rather than a protein source. Vegetable diets are sure not new; they are used in situations where animal protein is scarce or expensive. In Australia's situation, the largest feedmiller, Ridley has simply stopped using animal protein in some of its mills because it also produces feeds for ruminants and fears of zoonoses would be real, if not for the high biosecurity and hygiene. Moses, you should be able to get one of the enzyme products in Uganda; maybe not Danisco products but such products are now very common. If you have connections to a producer in South Africa, they can easily send you Danisco or Alltech or Novus products (I believe there is a researcher in Tanzania currently working with Novus products). Check the Internet for distributors of products for these companies. Cheers. Paul
Recommend
Dr. Arshaq A Ramzee
28 de septiembre de 2011
Dear Professor Paul, I agree with your comments but still title of the paper is, diets based on all vegetable ingredients, yet tallow is not a vegetable ingredient, I would suggest that title may be, diet based on all vegetable proteins.
Recommend
Mohammad A. Hossain
Mohammad A. Hossain
28 de septiembre de 2011
well, but protein may come from either sources i.e animal and plant or vegetable ingredients, but vegetable feeds have no classfication like those, vegetable indicates only the plant ingredients so, its a matter of thinking which fit better------? cheers
Recommend
Mohammad A. Hossain
Mohammad A. Hossain
28 de septiembre de 2011

our salient focus on all-vegetable diets using for the broiler chickens and looking into the effects comparing with animal feed ingredients ,and its improvement for optimum production of the chickens. So the nomenclature of the title of our article should be on botanical related
cheers

Recommend
Prof. Paul Iji
28 de septiembre de 2011
Thanks, Dr Ramzee. I agree with you that vegetable proteins would be preferred to vegetable ingredienrts, but still note that the diet containing tallow was not one of the target diets tested. Specifically, we had soy/canola proteins tested against fishmeal. Essentially the diet containing tallow played no part in the experiment, and in subsequent experiments (to be published soon), that diet was not used. Cheers. Paul
Recommend
Dr Jaydip Mulik
30 de septiembre de 2011

Dear Dear Professor Paul & Mr. M.A. Hossain,

I feel the study is not complete as you have considered only Fish Meal as a Non Veg Protein source.

I hereby request you to take the trial with Meat cum Bone meal @ 4 -5 % inclusion rate & please assure that the MBM received should be from the manufacturer having hi tech rendering technology plants at their abattoirs.

I am not agree with the Comments of Dr Anant Deshpande regarding the Indian Broiler feed industry as In India maximum broiler feed manufacturers are using the MBM as a main ingredient for Protein & Phosphorus source expect who have religious issue. In India everybody is not able to get the good quality material produced by the manufacturers who are using the Hi tech rendering technology plants provided by Alfa Laval & Flow Dry companies.

In India two types of MBM producers are there, One having integrated slaughter houses who have hi tech rendering machineries and utilizing their own abattoir waste coming from their own in house slaughter lines and others having traditional machineries who collect the waste material from surrounding areas and process the same with the help of traditional machineries to produce MBM & Animal Fat. The produce came out from such traditional manufacturers contains lot of microbial contamination and which is not fit for the poultry.

For the support of this i am herewith providing some field results got from one of Maharashtra based company having Broiler Integration business & is using Sterilized MBM @ 4% on very regular basis in finisher & starter feed procured from the manufacturer having hi tech rendering plants at their abattoirs.

Name of Farmer DOC Date of placement Mean age Chick source/Breed Av.Body weight(Kg) FCR Mortality%
Mr. Shaikh S 4049 02.04.2009 47 Phonix Poultry-Jabalpur/Cobb400 2.213 1.77 6.22
Mr. Gorakh Dhamore 5044 02.04.2009 46 Phonix Poultry-Jabalpur/Cobb400 2.218 1.76 4.18
Mr. Arun Kadus 5138 24.04.2009 48 Shanti Fortune-Bangalore/Cobb400 2.358 1.80 7.73
Mr.Shivaji Kadus 5220 24.04.2009 44 Shanti Fortune-Bangalore/Cobb400 2.077 1.75 5.10
Mr. Jagannath Kadus 5452 24.04.2009 49 Shanti Fortune-Bangalore/Cobb400 2.368 1.81 5.10
Mr. Namdev Kale 8149 24.04.2009 48 VSN Hatch. Nanded/Cobb400 2.184 1.75 3.74
Mr. Dilip Maid 5079 24.04.2009 48 VSN Hatch. Nanded/Cobb400 2.331 1.73 3.54

Recommend
Mohammad A. Hossain
Mohammad A. Hossain
30 de septiembre de 2011
thanks for your comments, yep ,another trial is running with Meat and bone meal along with vegetable proteins--so it may be complete trial as you like or your comments. cheers
Recommend
Mohammad A. Hossain
Mohammad A. Hossain
1 de octubre de 2011
Dear sakib fahim butt, thanks for your comments. For your better concern, our experimental study is running phase, so right now we can not give anybody our ration therapy/recipie. After finishing our experimental study it may be possible to give you. Sorry for any inconvenience Keep in touch best wishes cheers
Recommend
Mohammad A. Hossain
Mohammad A. Hossain
6 de octubre de 2011
Dear Ananto Das, thanks for your comments cheers
Recommend
Dr Jaydip Mulik
7 de octubre de 2011

Dear Professor Paul ,

Please clarify me on the below subject matter whether i am correct or wrong? and please share your views regarding the same to update our knowledge.

I feel the study is not complete as you have considered only Fish Meal as a Non Veg Protein source.

I hereby request you to take the trial with Meat cum Bone meal @ 4 -5 % inclusion rate & please assure that the MBM received should be from the manufacturer having hi tech rendering technology plants at their abattoirs.

I am not agree with the Comments of Dr Anant Deshpande regarding the Indian Broiler feed industry as In India maximum broiler feed manufacturers are using the MBM as a main ingredient for Protein & Phosphorus source expect who have religious issue. In India everybody is not able to get the good quality material produced by the manufacturers who are using the Hi tech rendering technology plants provided by Alfa Laval & Flow Dry companies.

In India two types of MBM producers are there, One having integrated slaughter houses who have hi tech rendering machineries and utilizing their own abattoir waste coming from their own in house slaughter lines and others having traditional machineries who collect the waste material from surrounding areas and process the same with the help of traditional machineries to produce MBM & Animal Fat. The produce came out from such traditional manufacturers contains lot of microbial contamination and which is not fit for the poultry.

For the support of this i am herewith providing some field results got from one of Maharashtra based company having Broiler Integration business & is using Sterilized MBM @ 4% on very regular basis in finisher & starter feed procured from the manufacturer having hi tech rendering plants at their abattoirs.

Name of Farmer DOC Date of placement Mean age Chick source/Breed Av.Body weight(Kg) FCR Mortality%
Mr. Shaikh S 4049 02.04.2009 47 Phonix Poultry-Jabalpur/Cobb400 2.213 1.77 6.22
Mr. Gorakh Dhamore 5044 02.04.2009 46 Phonix Poultry-Jabalpur/Cobb400 2.218 1.76 4.18
Mr. Arun Kadus 5138 24.04.2009 48 Shanti Fortune-Bangalore/Cobb400 2.358 1.80 7.73
Mr.Shivaji Kadus 5220 24.04.2009 44 Shanti Fortune-Bangalore/Cobb400 2.077 1.75 5.10
Mr. Jagannath Kadus 5452 24.04.2009 49 Shanti Fortune-Bangalore/Cobb400 2.368 1.81 5.10
Mr. Namdev Kale 8149 24.04.2009 48 VSN Hatch. Nanded/Cobb400 2.184 1.75 3.74
Mr. Dilip Maid 5079 24.04.2009 48 VSN Hatch. Nanded/Cobb400 2.331 1.73 3.54

Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.