Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

infectious bursal disease in poultry

Occurrence of infectious bursal disease after vaccination with a low-passage attenuated virus

Published: October 19, 2011
Summary
Introduction Infectious bursal disease, also known as Gumboro disease, has caused great economic losses in the poultry industry in different parts of the world due to mortality and immunosuppression. It is a contagious acute viral disease of young birds. The disease may be clinical with variable mortality, and subclinical without mortality. The clinical form of the disease occurs in birds from...
Related topics
Authors:
BM Santos
Universidade Federal de Viçosa - UFV
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Santiago Sievert Garcia
16 de octubre de 2012

One definite indication of an infectious bursal disease (IBD) is the presence of multiple disease gross lesions in postmortem conducted on mortalities in one flock. Infected birds likewise react severely to other vaccinations and commonly are associated with the presence of opportunistic bacteria (Colibacillosis). Suspect a failed vaccination for IBD when there are symptoms and gross lesions of several diseases in one flock especially if biosecurity is well in implemented and practiced.

LEE CHOON SHEN
16 de octubre de 2012

Dear BM Santos:

No doubt from the clinical signs, post mortem lesions and histopathological lesion, this is an IBD infection in that particular herd. But this outbreak MAY not due to the low-passage attenuated virus vaccine used. It MAY be a co-incidence, and the problems flare up after the vaccination. Although reverse virulence of the low passage attenuated virus MAY occur, BUT have to bear in mind, to pin point the IBD outbreak is due to the low passage attenuated virus vaccine, you should perform PCR from the bursal sample to confirm the present of the "vaccine" virus at the bursa of the infected birds. Meanwhile, in your conclusion, “The clinical or acute infectious bursal disease, as evidenced by this study, is characterized by septicaemia.” it should be viraemia in viral infection. Another queries, is that a normal practice in Brazil (i suppose) to vaccinate the laying bird as late as 8 weeks old??? How about the infectious bursal disease (IBD) vaccination program at the early age, IF at least 2 live IBD vaccination were given at the early age, it shouldn't be an problems to use a low passage attenuated virus vaccine....Just my 2 cents.

Regards:
LEE CS

Nadim Amarin
United Animal Health
17 de octubre de 2012
Thank you for sharing this case with us I just have some comments here:

In Jordan before 10 years one of my colelagues (Dr. Hisham Maaitah) did survey on infectious bursal disease (IBD) and he isolated the virus from clincal cases and from these viruses he found most of them related to vaccinal strain.

So my recommendation is to do more analysis on this strain

More over I agree with LEE to vaccinate IBD earlyier

The best for me threes time intermediate 14, 26, 35

Best Regards
Nadim
Dr. Vighane
17 de octubre de 2012

Dear all
The same problem is in my farm I.e. Yammfy farms Nigeria. I am doing live vaccine on 3, 14 dAy as well as killed vaccine in day old. But still I have problem of infectious bursal disease (IBD). Usually mortality starts from 14 day is continue for 5 day.
So, request you all to suggest me something to control it.

Thanking you all.
Regards
Dr. Vighne

LEE CHOON SHEN
18 de octubre de 2012
Dr. Vighane:

May I know you are keeping Layers or Broiler??
Back to the basic, biosecurity play the most important role in disease management instead of vaccine. Since infectious bursal disease (IBD) virus considered a very hardy virus, please use proper disinfectant and follow the recommended dilution. Beside disinfection, you must also clean you farm thoroughly with proper detergent. I think a lot kind of farm use detergent in the market. Without proper biosecurity, don’t talk about vaccination program. Second thing, uniformity MDA of your chick (check with your chick supplier, maybe they do not hyperimmunized their herd)?? Multi source??? Have you ever check the MDA level of your chicks before decide a proper vaccination program for your herds. Before doing this, you actually perform a “Blind” vaccination and try to hit by chances. And other thing to look into is have your carry out the proper diagnosis for IBD, it may not IBD outbreak, MAYBE other disease. How’s the surrounding farms??? High challenge??? IF your farm is an high challenge area, please kindly use intermediate plus vaccine. Then if all the problems taken care, still have those vaccination failure problems, please also consider: “ Did your farm workers properly handle the vaccine??”; “Any immunosuppressive factor (CAV, REO, Marek, Mycotoxin…..etc)

Regards:
LEE CS
Simon Mwangi Karanja
19 de octubre de 2012

Dear all
The same case indicated above have been very common in kenya especially with small scale farmers lossing up to 90% of their flocks .am an animal health technician n am learning alot t through your news .i have learned how to handle this thanks a lot.

Dr. Vighane
20 de octubre de 2012
Dear Len Thanks for share. Well I have layers Novogen Brown. MAD titres are 2000. Second thing breeder farmer is not doing mid lay vaccination. Most important thing Leg bleeding ( on the onset of egg production there is severe leg bleeding, sometimes from thighs, neck) . In pm lesions I use to get MD cases. Please reply. Thanking you.
Dr. Mohammad khorshed
23 de octubre de 2012

Dr . vighane
the infectious bursal disease (IBD) vaccination depen upon the daventer formela to test the mab and top bio-security and my suggestion is you go to vaccinate at 14 days only in IBDL VACCINES IS THE BEST

DR MOHAMED KHORSHED

Dr D. S. Shivdekar
26 de noviembre de 2012

Ibd can not be controlled by thumb rules. No vaccination programme can claim to be universal. Programme is to be tailor made for each occasion.
Age at which the disease strikes MAB status of chicks, virus load on farm, down times. concurrent chicken anemia all need to be considered before addressing problematic ibd presence on farms.
Dr shivdekar,

Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister