Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Heat stress in poultry

Heat stress and associated problems in poultry

Published: May 2, 2012
Summary
In many parts of India, summer is severe with maximum day temperature hovering around 40 C (ie 104 F). There is also shortage of water in summer and since water table goes down, bacterial count in water is high. It is therefore a challenging task to manage poultry in these conditions. During summer, weight gain, FCR, egg production, eggshell quality and hatchability are all adversely affecte...
Related topics:
Authors:
Venkatesh Narsapur
Influencers who recommended :
Ananth K
Recommend
Comment
Nitin  Suryavanshi
3 de mayo de 2012

a good article .pls guide me the airflow rate standards for broilers and layers in tunnel ventilated house.
also in layers in negative pressure ventillation there is a temperature variation in the cages from top to bottom,how to manage such a condition.
lastly few steps to avoid delayed oviposition.

Recommend
Dr.Thirumeignanam, D.,
3 de mayo de 2012

Dear Dr.Narsapur,

Very informative article On heat stress managment in poultry.
Nicely explained effect of heat stress & its prevention.
Regarding Nutritional managment
Chromium also has effect on reducing the cortisol (Stress hormone) level there by reducing stress and improving the glucose utilization. Organic Chromium -such as Chromium propionate with Vitamin C has synergistic effect on reducing the heat stress and improving immunity, nutrient utilization & production. Feed additives such as Cr + Vitamin C will have greater effect during summer/stress period.

Thanks and regards
Dr.Thirumeignanam

Recommend
Venkatesh Narsapur
25 de mayo de 2012
Dr Nitin Suryavanshi.,---Thanks for your comments . You may find the details on air flow standards in book by McNorth. Dr Thirumeignanam :- Thanks for the information .Any propreitary preparations available in India that combine VitC and Chromium propitionate at the appropriate dose ? Dr Ganesh kumar Dahal..... Thanks.
Recommend
Dr.Thirumeignanam, D.,
25 de mayo de 2012
Dear Dr. V.S.Narsapur, Yes In India, CHROMflex C avialble in market with appropriate dose composition. It is product of Kemin Industries. Thanks and regards Dr.Thirumeignanam
Recommend
Abdul Qayyum
26 de enero de 2013

Here is very good basic informations about heat stress in poultry. plz guide me for use of exogenous enzyme supplementation during heat stress in poultry particularly in case of japanese quail .
thank you.

Recommend
Peter Žuffa
9 de abril de 2017

Dear Dr V.S.Narsapur. Very important article.

Please, could I know your opinion on livestock breeders (heavy type con (spec Bredd Brahma)? 

How to solve this problem. Do you have any recommendations, for example, which added to the feed.
What is your opinion Sodium bicarbonate 25-30 ° C 0,05% - 30-40 ° C 0.1%)
in chicken rearing period to the time of reproduction. - production of hatching eggs.
I solve this issue for my honorable friend ( hobby breeds) in Kuwait.
Thanks you from SSlovakia.

Recommend
Md. Abdullah Ansari
7 de febrero de 2018
Thanks for your nice and update information. Arginine is a precursor of nitric oxide which helps to regulate cardiopulmonary blood circulation by working as vasodilator. So, giving arginine to feed may be the good way to reduce heat stress. Dr. Abdullah Ansari. DVM.
Recommend
Surinder Khanna
2 de abril de 2018

To me, all medicines have limited role when shed temperature is above 38 degree celsius. Heat-stressed bird if immediately withdrawn and given drop of paracetamol plus glucose and given deep water bath survives but lays eggs after 4 days sprinklers versus no sprinklers or foggers versus no foggers inside sheds have no difference in mortality at 38 degree celsius.

Recommend
Surinder Khanna
2 de abril de 2018

We tried chromium , paracetamol vit c 300 gms per ton ammonium chloride 500 gms per ton sodium chloride 2.5 kg per ton it seems keeping low water temp, proper flushing, proper ventilation and using channels replacing nipples all were beneficial at moderate temp of 35 degree celsius but keeping shed cool better ventilation maintaining water temp were better with low density of birds . It is also important to observe how many birds are being reared per acre and not per box. It is also important density of birds in per sq km.
Type of infrastructure eg single shed or double storey shed with rcc or asbestos, availability of insulation or not all management things matter more than chemicals or drugs.

Recommend
Mounir ghomari
19 de julio de 2018

Can I give vit c and acetylsalicylic acid from 6am to 6pm (only in the heat stress moment)?

Recommend
Muhammad
9 de enero de 2023
Thanks for giving me a nice information..
Recommend
Dr. Sohel Rana
Kazi Farms
16 de abril de 2023
Nice information.
Recommend
Profile picture
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.