Explore
Communities in English
Advertise on Engormix

Salmonella in broilers

Control of Salmonella and other pathogens in broilers – the importance of a coherent approach

Published: February 1, 2010
Summary
1) What is Salmonella? Salmonellae are gram-negative bacteria, which belong to the genus Salmonella which is part of the family of Enterobacteriaceae (bacteria living in the intestine). Salmonellae are non-encapsulated bacteria that can grow under either aerobic or anaerobic conditions. The optimum temperature for growth is 35 to 43ºC while the optimum pH is 6.6 to 8.2. However, Salmo...
Related topics
Authors:
Mathieu Cortyl
Tonisity
Follow
Join to be able to comment.
Once you join Engormix, you will be able to participate in all content and forums.
* Required information
Would you like to discuss another topic? Create a new post to engage with experts in the community.
Create a post
Chengping
13 de diciembre de 2011

Good evening sir! I am so honoured to read your passage about control of salmonella in broilers, I have a question,what is the Norel & Nature???

thank you !!

Mathieu Cortyl
Tonisity
13 de diciembre de 2011
Dear Sir, Norel & Nature is the previous name for our company, it has now been changed to Norel Animal Nutrition, if you wish to know more you can visit our website Thanks and best regards
Abrithya
4 de diciembre de 2012

Dear sir,
Good article about control of salmonella in broilers.
I have a question, salmonella level in your passage was related with human consumtion. How about tolerance level in parent stock, are there any specific number?

Mathieu Cortyl
Tonisity
17 de diciembre de 2012

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your question and my apologies for not replying earlier, as I had some issues to post my reply on this website.
To answer to your query, I have in mind some recommendations given by Richardson (2002) about the maximum Enterobacteria (not Salmonella) levels in poultry feeds, as follows (in CFU per gram of feed):
For great grandmothers, grandmothers and broiler breeders the target is 0 and the maximum acceptable level is 100.
For others (layer breeders, layers, turkeys and broilers) this author recommends a target of maximum 100 CFU per gram of feed and a maximum acceptable level of 1,000.
I hope this helps.

Best regards

Dr-Muhammad Ali Tagar
16 de octubre de 2015
Drug of choice for salmonella plz
Join Engormix and be part of the largest agribusiness social network in the world.
LoginRegister